My old female duck has been sitting on 10 chicken eggs for nearly 3 weeks. It's winter!

Lizi

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi all, This is the first time since getting our rooster (Big Bub) that anyone has gone clucky. It just happens to be the duck. I need advice. If these eggs hatch it will be cold - not crazy cold (We are on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland) but would like some advice. And please bear in mind I have never had chicks hatch at my place. Total novice.

I am not even 100% sure that they are fertile. They certainly look different and feel heavier. It has to be close to 3 weeks she has been sitting. How can I tell for sure?
If they do hatch, should I do something to help with the temperature? Will it be too cold for them now?

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Lizi

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
you could try candling your eggs - go out late at night when it's really dark and shine a torch through the egg - or you could wait a few more days....

Chicks that hatch from the "hen-cubator" generally have the hen to keep them warm even in the cold.... but do try to give them an area out of the rain and wind for the first couple of weeks.

I have a hen sitting on 3 eggs (I caused her to break 1 when I turfed her off the nest for her daily food) which are due either the 12th or 14th of this month and it's winter here too but much colder in the south of the south island of New Zealand. Still - she was a good mama last summer so hopefully she'll do a good job during our winter/spring.

Keep us updated please on your/her progress... and can we have a photo please? I'll see if I can get one tomorrow of mine sitting.

Top Bottom