My little grow op

Would it be more beneficial to turn off the heat mat through the day and back on at night?
if its staying mid 60s i would and you also said you have near window so it if gets direct light where the sun actually hits them that will warm the peat pots right there, as long as it doesnt dip down too cool

I turned off the heating pad when I got home last night. And watered what seemed dry with a spray bottle to not overwater the seedlings. This morning I can see at least one sprout for my Jalepeno's, Habenaro's and sweet peppers!

Attachments

• My little grow op
    20240605_060759.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 8
  • My little grow op
    20240605_060810.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 6
Ahh, you're kind of hyping me up to start plants of my own. I've been too busy to start anything new at the moment, but I LOVE my Winter plants. Goodness, you might be what sends me over the edge and make me go buy some plants :D

GROW plants!! 😍

Although I'm really sad my Lettuce hasn't poked out yet.. the tomatoes are getting there second leaves and the peppers are more pronounced every day! All I can think about when at work is if anything new sprouted and how things are doing.

Watching so many videos on pickeling peppers and making hot sauces...

Attachments

• My little grow op
    20240606_060652.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 8
Hopefully you did not plant it too deep it is a seed that place it and basically scratch just enough potting soil or in the case like with the rock wool i use in hydroponic fluff over it to hold it so it doesnt move around. if lettuce hasnt sprouted in the cubes in 3 to 5 days max they wont
If they are older seeds check viability sprinkle 10 or 15 on a paper towel fold the papertowel in half and spray with water enough to get the paper towel wet set it where warm 70 to 80 F (21 to 26c) you should see the sprout starting in most cases 24 to 48 hours rare cases 72 or a bit more. if towel starts to dry give it a light spray soit just lightly damp.
Advantage those seeding can be lifted away or just wet the paper towel so soggy then just pull it apart gently around the seedling,place it on pot and then take a tooth pick lightly flick to cover it very light so you still see the sprouting tip.
The peat poots in the tray thay have not sprouts and have green started soak them good in the 50/50 water peroxide over night take the out to dry to kill off the algae

Thanks Dave! They're all seeds from last year. I'll sprout a couple. And I'll soak those pots tonight. And try a couple on towel. I want to start collecting my own seeds so that I'm not having to buy. Collecting from peppers is easy. But not sure about the rest.

pepper - you want the pepper to get to point the flesh is at full deep red, if you bend it and it snaps it is not ripe for seeds, if yiu can bent it and the flesh feel loke suppleold soft leather then its ripe to take seeds. cut open scrape out the seed no need to rince remove as much of the palcenta ( membrain ) and spread n a sheet of newspaper or white printer paper and air dry a couple day where cool and dry out of direct sun .gently scrape off the paper if stuck a little with an old credit card.rubs them gentle between two clean pieces of paper now you can store as need . ( this holds true for almost all seeds to dry and store )

tomatoes and cucumbers - these seeds have a anti sprouting gel around the seed, so until that coating decays or breacks down the seed will not spouts ripe tomatoes to point you see the skin is softer and they feel soft to touch nit a nicce hard frm tomato - cucmber when they are turning from gree to a white and gold tone. these seed you remove next place them in a smalled container like the small 16 dram pill vials or those plastic 1 oz measureing cup that come with cold meds. pour in clean fresh water room temp ( not chlorinated ) cover with a paper towel, now wait a day pour out the water into another vial place seeds on a sheet of clean paper and inspect that the gell coat is fully gone on seeds if not put them back into the liguid over night and check again when all signs of the gel membrane are gone rinse seeds lightly and place seeds on a sheet of paper to dry same as the pepper seeds

how to store

Save aside 5 or so seeds to test sprouting

One way is like i do i have the 16Dram vials i store my seeds in but i have advantage i can store them in a small1.6 CuFt fridge and i have welding equipment that has an oxygen free inert gas i use nitrogen so i put seed in the vial and purge the air out with nitrogen from welder. I f y9u have an air soft pellet or pain ball place around they have small canisters of nitrogen you can get to refill with.
Another way once seeds are dry you can get fancy mas a small mini enevelop out of waxed paper, you can pinch and fse edges with an iron the waxe coating will stick togeather or tape edges to seal tight , at top leave a flap you can fold over and tape closed.
Label vial or wax packet with seed name and date and sprouting liablity 4/5 sprout = 80 % etc , place the seeds in one of those cardboard box file care holder and put in the small fridge at 32 to 40 F (0 - 5c) in oygen free cool dry air seeds can be held for decades and still have a good germination rate

My little grow opMy little grow op

Oh wow! They can last decades? Makes sense why you use the Nitrogen then! That seems a little excessive for my level at the moment but is really good to know!

I have beans sprouting today! Sometime it surprises me how fast plants can grow! There was no sign of them this morning and this evening the pucks are buldging and plants are breaking free!

Attachments

• My little grow op
    20240607_191653.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 11
  • My little grow op
    20240607_185134.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 10
Oh wow! They can last decades? Makes sense why you use the Nitrogen then! That seems a little excessive for my level at the moment but is really good to know!

I have beans sprouting today! Sometime it surprises me how fast plants can grow! There was no sign of them this morning and this evening the pucks are buldging and plants are breaking free!
lol yes when stuff decides to grow it can get pretty aggressive, the seeds one reason istore them like that is i bought bulk packs at one time yeards ago 2000 to 3000 seeds some of the lettuce i grow i have had the seeds for years but i add fresh seeds in new vial constantly. i test from some vial all the time and i do have a few i dont buy bulk but i buy seeds year to year.

Where do you buy your seeds from in bulk? I'm curious what the prices are like up here. I think the Lettuce seed just isn't going to germinate so I'll pick up another pack when I'm off today.

I know a lot of the things we've talked about aren't as avaliable. Home Depot up here hasn't been selling mylar rolls the last number of times I looked.

Where do you buy your seeds from in bulk? I'm curious what the prices are like up here. I think the Lettuce seed just isn't going to germinate so I'll pick up another pack when I'm off today.

I know a lot of the things we've talked about aren't as avaliable. Home Depot up here hasn't been selling mylar rolls the last number of times I looked.
ohio heirloom seeds on amazon and some sellers like parks and burbie also off bulk 2 3 5 and 10 k seeds at times

Bulk I saw as useful when I was thinking of doing microgreens but I'm not sure I'd ever use up that much Lettuce seed!

I bought two heirloom varieties while at Walmart today.
My little grow op

Going to try two of each since I seem to have one Lettuce finally sprouting! I see why it took so long!
My little grow op

As far as the original seeds they may sprout but it's been 48 hours and the coating on the seeds has only cracked. But I also let the towel accidentally dry out the first day.... 🙄 forgot to put in a bag...
My little grow op

And last but not least the whole seeding tray!
My little grow op

Dear gods beans grow fast!!!
I think they're ready for a bucket....
I'm also surprised how much isn't growing..

Attachments

• My little grow op
    20240610_205651.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 4
  • My little grow op
    20240610_192914.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 5
  • My little grow op
    20240610_210249.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 4
Haha I hear you. My dog Bella is literally the most expensive thing in this house. The vet bills have racked up to the point she's more costly than a new car. No wonder we don't have any savings :ROFL:
She's lucky she's cute... and totally worth it.

Back
Top Bottom