My first go at Mead

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Tastes pretty good and only 20 days in the bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 85

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here you go Mandy :). As I said initially, mine was only in the bottle for 20 days and it was absolutely amazing. The first ferment took about 2 months as it was a pretty frosty Winter here and maybe because I didn't stir it religiously every day so that might have drawn out the process a bit. My second and third batches are progressing much faster. Not addicted at all ?

Attachments

• IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 97

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No worries Mandy. I can attempt a quick video of the stirring/fizz process if it's helpful.

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I've been wanting to do this once I get my cellar fixed up (my very old house has an old proper cellar but the floor above it is shot and it needs a lot of work - and money - to make it usable), so thanks heaps for the recipe, I'll keep that bookmarked for the future.

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've been wanting to do this once I get my cellar fixed up (my very old house has an old proper cellar but the floor above it is shot and it needs a lot of work - and money - to make it usable), so thanks heaps for the recipe, I'll keep that bookmarked for the future.
No worries. That recipe is a keeper. :) Re. your floor...you can sometimes pickup sheets of Yellow Tongue or similar on Gumtree or Marketplace at a really good price. heap and quick to install. Termite resistant and can be sealed.

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Tastes pretty good and only 20 days in the bottle.
Can you drink it after only that long? It won't make you sick or anything? I've never tried fermenting or making mead but we have bees and some very distinct honey in storage at the moment so I'd love to try making some :) Sorry if it's a stupid question...

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Can you drink it after only that long? It won't make you sick or anything? I've never tried fermenting or making mead but we have bees and some very distinct honey in storage at the moment so I'd love to try making some :) Sorry if it's a stupid question...
I believe Honey is considered a more sterile product, meaning it won't really grow bacteria. I believe that raw honey can actually stay good for many, many years on it's own.

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I believe Honey is considered a more sterile product, meaning it won't really grow bacteria. I believe that raw honey can actually stay good for many, many years on it's own.
The guy that I did a fermenting course with says the antibacterial properties cease the minute you add the water, but yes, on its own it is antibacterial.

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm definitely not an expert on Mead making but I'm starting with sterile containers, raw honey and (cooled) boiled water (as I'm on tank). I'm pretty confident :) And the taste after only that long is surprising as I was expecting a much longer wait for a drinkable product.

Last edited:

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
No worries. That recipe is a keeper. :) Re. your floor...you can sometimes pickup sheets of Yellow Tongue or similar on Gumtree or Marketplace at a really good price. heap and quick to install. Termite resistant and can be sealed.
The problem is the floor bearers are broken, it's a structural safety issue that requires a professional fix, and to get into the cellar requires walking across the broken floor that's above it, which currently is too dangerous at the risk of the floor collapsing and caving in. But once I can afford to get it fixed, mead will be the first thing on my list of things to make and store down there.

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The problem is the floor bearers are broken, it's a structural safety issue that requires a professional fix, and to get into the cellar requires walking across the broken floor that's above it, which currently is too dangerous at the risk of the floor collapsing and caving in. But once I can afford to get it fixed, mead will be the first thing on my list of things to make and store down there.
Ah I see, that's a bit more problematic than some flooring :confused:

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is my second batch and it's just past the 'stirring too vigorously will provoke a geyser' stage. It's almost ready to bottle.

Top Bottom