Moving 3 x raised garden beds

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Mark, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I guess there's no easy way to move these raised garden beds except for a lot of digging and hard work!

I have decided to move these three raised beds from under the gum trees and put them in my central vegetable garden. Initially, (about 6 years ago) I thought it made sense to put the beds in the current location to give a little dappled shade through summer for our veggie crops and it also made a border for the kids play gym area.

But now, I think it would be much better to co-locate these beds with all the rest of our vegetable garden and this would make it easier to manage, easier to incorporate them into my auto watering system, and look better too.

I can't really think of any easy way to do this task apart from manually moving the soil from the beds then moving the frame and then refilling - just going to have to take a deep breath on the weekend and get stuck into it. Hope it's a cool, overcast weekend :)

raised colorbond vegetable garden beds.jpg

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    and they look big too :p

Sounds like it's going to be a training exercise, maybe develop it in to sessions, a one hour workout every day :trainingweights:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah but I have a tendency to go like a bull at a gate once I start so I'm going to be hurting I reckon :)

We're getting into the best growing season in this part of the world so I'd like to have these beds rock and rolling.

4. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Yeah big job.
    Could you try and dig the frame out first and get that relocated. Then move the dirt.
    It could save a bit of work with moving dirt twice, ie move dirt-move frame-move dirt into frame could become move frame-move dirt.

Just a thought.
    Enjoy the workout.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Do you mean dig around the edges until I can free the frame and lift it out? It's not a bad thought actually because these beds are nearly 4 m long and over 2 m wide so there must be a few ton of dirt in those suckers.

I have to admit I did get a crowbar and see if I could jimmy the frame off as is but all I did was bend the frame at the bottom - as if that was going work :rolleyes: (wishful thinking).

If I empty the bed then where do I put the dirt the first time? You're right, double handling is what I would like to try and avoid as much as I can or this will take me a month of Sundays to finish! OK. I'll try and dig the frame out first and throw the dirt into the middle, then relocate the frame, then move the dirt. Good plan :twothumbsup:

6. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Worth a try mate. Nothing worse than double-handling dirt.
    If you can loosen the dirt around the inside of the frame it might just come free.
    Good luck my friend.

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Got one frame off today but haven't moved the dirt or relocated the bed as yet.

Digging around the inside of the bed with a trench shovel did the trick but it was still hard work.

8. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You could back a trailer and ute up to and store the dirt in the trailer/ute while you move the frame, but I guess there's too much dirt. I thought if you bought a new frame and put it in place then move the dirt from the old one to the new one that'd solve the issue, but may not be practical getting a new frame.

9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Good suggestion but I'll probably just barrow it over to the new location - it's not far. The tricky thing about the dirt is the course granite I have filled the bottom half of the frame with for drainage purposes. Therefore, what I need to do is remove the topsoil first and then cart the granite as the base for the new bed and then replace the topsoil last so it's on top... naturally.

I'm using the old frames in the new locations as they cost about $390 each and I'd rather recycle them first then buy anymore (not yet anyway).

10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    This is what it looks like off - I've since relocated the frame but still haven't moved the dirt (raining too much)...

raised garden bed colorbond move.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hah, that's a LOT of dirt to move with a shovel :ROFL:

12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks mate, I'm really looking forward to it :sarcasm:

13. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    This rain will be slowing any progress I assume? Supposed to be plenty more rain coming.

14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yep it certainly is but I'm loving the rain (even if it is washing my pile of dirt down the hill) because our fruit trees really needed a good watering especially the citrus and this will now mean awesome fruit this coming season! Some of our grapefruits are ripe already :eek:

15. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    How's the dam going, is it full?

16. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    No not yet - it's about 1/3 so still quite a lot to go. My man made stream isn't even flowing yet in comparison this time last year it was running non-stop for about 3 months at the rate of two garden hoses on full. We just haven't had near the amount of rain this last summer...

17. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I have moved one garden bed so far and here's the video evidence :)

18. David Trees

David Trees Active Member Premium Member

Nice raised bed surrounds. They look robust for sure. Were they expensive. I like the idea of IBC's as they have a fork lift cage on the bottom. The only issue would be finding way to lift and separate them from their current home. Certainly made harder if the soil would be wet from rains.

Have you had much rain since you posted on the 8th Mark?

As you're mentioning beds and soils... Can I ask if you had thought of making a unique topic area for Soils please?

Soil, from my studies and experience make or break a garden in many ways? Just a question and idea. Thanks.

19. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We had a little rain but not heaps - still enough to keep the garden going.

I think we could probably just create new threads about soils or questions relating to soils in the general fruit and Vegetable growing section. Feel free to create as many threads as you see fit to discuss. I agree, soil is a very important subject and also a big topic range! Actually, I've just though of a thread subject concerning soils which I've wanted to create and discuss for ages - thanks for reminding me :) will go do it now...

• Like Like x 1
  20. David Trees

David Trees Active Member Premium Member

Sure Mark. No worries... It's all part of the service I offer... that is reminding people of things I know they know but I know nothing about.., LoL.

• Funny Funny x 1