Making Kim Chi

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Kasalia, May 5, 2016.

1. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    John loves Kim Chi. Usually we make it in a large bottle, but for his birthday recently, he received a fermenting crock from the children, for either sauerkraut or Kim Chi. So this week he got all the ingredients, Chinese Cabbage, Daikon Radish, Korean chilli powder, garlic, spring onions, salt, sugar, ginger, fish sauce.

[​IMG]

The cabbage is salted to preserve it and let the juices run out it, for roughly 2 hours, then washed. Meanwhile the radish and spring onions are cut into matchsticks. All the other ingredients except the chilli is mixed into a paste. Then it is all mixed in together.

[​IMG]

This mixture is squished into the crock which then is weighted with the special weights that come with the crock, to stop the air hitting the cabbage and causing mould etc. and ferments.

[​IMG]

The Kim Chi is left now for roughly 5 - 7 days, which we then put in glass bottles and keep in the fridge. This will last 3 - 4 months if not eaten,it goes with just about anything, as a vegetable, so doesn't last long.

There are lots of recipes, available out there, so have a go.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I like cooking with it such as adding it to a stir fry.

I've never tried making it but when I do I'll make sure I add heaps of chilli because the Asian grocers kimchi tends to be a little bland (the ones that I have tried anyway) so extra chillies are definitely what I'll do.

3. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We bought all the stuff this time, and the crock came with a simple recipe. We used the whole cabbage ( $3) , but not all the daikon as it was so large. You should make it it is easy. Also to grow the chinese cabbage are much better for sub tropical, I picked all I had last month and made a huge batch of chow mein, which I froze, didn't know we would be having a kim chi moment.
    Planted more seeds now and also I have sent for some daikon radish seeds from Green Harvest as not grown them before.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What's so special about them compared to any other radish besides looking like white carrots? Here's some on eBay if anyone wants to see what they look like... I just purchased some myself :)