stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If you're not sure about Macro, have a look at this awesome page.....

http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/

As the fella says, he's been doing it for a long time and I don't think we can expect to match his skill and quality, but if you have some Macro shots post them up, good or bad.

I'm no expert either, I've got a 40mm Macro lens that I don't know how to use, but I don't let that stop me, and even by taking photos of creatures you start to learn more about them, which is great for this site.

Last edited:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Some shots from my backyard today....

Native Bee on Cadagi Seeds

225-1420417557-778fefa1c248699282b8913f1d837d1d.jpg

Fly on a Sunflower
226-1420421362-34da7bda10fb7bf82b360c68f833d1e8.jpg

Mozzie on my leg
227-1420422871-e0d03c6df0ff0f48ea8d1594b7ff6a3a.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've got a 40mm Macro lens that I don't know how to use, but I don't let that stop me, and even by taking photos of creatures you start to learn more about them, which is great for this site.
For someone who is not sure about using a 40 mil lense you sure do a good job at taking photos with it!

You've inspired me to try more macro myself. :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers Mark. I've taken some tips from the website page I linked to in the first post.

So far I....
1. use the inbuilt flash
2. sometimes hold a piece of white paper (I used a book with a white back cover) above/infront of the flash to direct the light downwards on the subject. The fella from the website made a "snoot" so I might have to do that too.
3. put the focus on manual, find your focus, then rock back and forth slowly and click when the focus is right

If you don't have a macro lens you can still give it a go and do some cropping on the computer.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Some awesome pics by both of you (letsgo n stevo) Nice work and inspiring.

I don't have a proper macro lens but like you said that shouldnt stop me. Laziness is the only thing slowing me down....

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
OMG - this thread is like Wonderland :shock:

I agree with Steve, they are simply amazing images!

Macro shows a whole different appearance to little things - I guess showing what they really do look like to each other or if we were that small.

I've snapped a few bees and insects in the garden but this is a whole new level. Actually, it's like a whole new world seeing small fauna close up like this.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Letsgo, awesome photos. I only "liked" your wasp photo because it freaks me out :hysterical:... I've had too many stings from them :( ... I don't think I could get that close. Actually I found another nest in my yard yesterday and it did cross my mind when I saw your photo, but I think i'll give it a miss with my 40mm lens!

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I went to the Nursery today and bought some plants/flowers for the bees. I noticed a Rhino Beetle on another plant, so instantly I thought... wow there's a photo opportunity!!!! So I removed it from that plant and transferred it to the plant I was buying and hid it under the leaves so it wouldn't be noticed at check-out (maybe they wouldn't care anyway, but it would just be less drama if it wasn't noticed. I think I need to make some kind of Defuser because I think there's too much extreme reflection from the beetles shiny surfaces.

233-1420620327-bebf5b25eeb2e382c6db330ed07d1285.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Keep it coming Stevo! I could look at pond water all day ;)

This thread is GREAT - just don't expect any images from me because this is way beyond my current skill set... LOL

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah that's the one Mark. Just be aware that with the 40mm you have to be very close to the subject. So you wont be capturing blue banded bees because they'll fly away, unless you pin them down. From what I've read people prefer the 100mm macro, but as you can expect that's a whole lot more money. If you're happy with just having to get very close then the 40mm is good, and not too expensive. You can also use it to take normal photos like family portraits etc, the same as a prime lens.

Are you going to get one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom