Louisiana Farm Life

John R.

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello, I live on a farm in south Louisiana and my wife and I are trying to get some gardening done this year. I am trying a few new things like mini-hugel kulture beds made from cattle feed barrels. I will be recording the progress as I go through it. We are also making a new chicken tractor by repurposing some old equipment and supplies. These birds will be pasture birds so this will be a new adventure as well. This is my first post so hopefully I will figure this technology stuff out. Stay safe and healthy.

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'Day and welcome.

Enjoy the forum.

John R.

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you, hope to learn a lot from folks.

John R.

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Tom,
We grow basic southern food plants. Things like tomatoes, potatoes, okra, onions, radishes, kale, lettuce, etc. I am trying some different types of tomatoes and I have planted some goji berry plants, a loquat tree, and a couple different grape vines.

I also forage some local foods as well. I found a nice batch of oyster mushrooms earlier and now we are in dewberry season. I have learned about several different "weeds" that are good to eat. It has been fun learning all of this stuff this season.

What do you grow and what style garden do you have?

John R.

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you Sir. Now I have to figure out how to do an article, but I am getting there. o_O

Tombr

Premium Member
GOLD
Howard Springs, Northern Territory Howard Springs
Climate
Tropical
Hi John, Over the Years I have just put in trees, never had luck with vegetables, I have Mangoes, Bananas, Start Fruit, Ginger, Lily Pilly, Finger Limes, Native Cashews among about another 50 trees. Most of them still small, less than a meter or two, only just started, only just learned about work live balance :) I do have three grape vines not sure how they go in the tropics, and two vanilla vines and their going gangbusters about 3 to 4 meters tall now, but alas no beans as of yet.

I do like the idea of foraging, there are a couple of indigenous tours to learn about "bush tucker" but now that the covid is rampant dos'nt look like I'll be going for a while.

Talk more soon and stay safe
cheers
tom

John R.

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wow, that is a lot. We are trying or hand at a couple of citrus trees this year. I guess we will see how that goes this fall. Good luck with yours! And the balance thing in life, when you figure that out... write a book, you will be rich! The COVID stuff has actually given me a lot of extra time which has been helpful to complete some things. I guess that is the lemonade out of lemons thing.

KunipshunFit

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey neighbor. Where bouts are you? Bogalusa here! Just joined myself.

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello, I live on a farm in south Louisiana and my wife and I are trying to get some gardening done this year. I am trying a few new things like mini-hugel kulture beds made from cattle feed barrels. I will be recording the progress as I go through it. We are also making a new chicken tractor by repurposing some old equipment and supplies. These birds will be pasture
birds so this will be a new adventure as well. This is my first post so hopefully I will figure this technology stuff out. Stay safe and healthy.

Welcome, John & family.

It's a great time to get a garden going during isolation and plus your growing season is here where you can pop anything in to grow. Happy garden, happy chooks, happy family :D

John R.

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mary, thank you. I have some things in the ground now. Hoping to get the rest in tomorrow or the next day. Thank you for the welcome.

Top Bottom