looking for tomato onion garlic and chilli chutney recipe

shep

GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
hi everyone.
i hope all are well
im looking for a tomato onion garlic and chilli chutney recipe
ive made one a few years ago which was great but i cant find the recipe i wrote down anywhere
if anyone has a recipe that would be great
thanks shep

think only one i have on notecards on computer is a hot pepper tomato garlic onion one India style chutey

1 pound red onion, peeled and sliced
1/2 pound sweet bell pepper sliced ( yellow orange green for color ) ( optional )
2 pound ripe tomatoes, course chopped use a mix of varieties to enhance flavor for a sweet and tart tone
6 - 8 fresh red chili, deseed and chopped
1 dried chilli - crushed omit for milder
5-7 garlic clove - minced or sliced
1 oz ginger grated fine (optional)
6 oz brown sugar
1/2 c honey
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 - 2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin seed crushed *
1/2 tsp corriander seed crushed*
1/2 tsp mustard seed crushed*
1/8 to 1/4 tsp tumeric
1/3 to 1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Instructions
* toast the mustard corriander and cumin seeds then crush
Add all the ingredients to a large heavy bottom pot or saucepan.
Stir to combine. cover with lid
Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 40-60 minutes until vegetables are soft or until jammy.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Transfer to a jar. hot process in water bath
Allow to cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use.

thats the one i make take 1/4 of batch partial puree it so still slightly chunky and add it back in so i have both chuncky and a thick slightly chunky sauce

@daveb thanks a lot for the recipe ill give it a go
shep
some other herbs you can adjust as you like so start easy on a few of the herbs and give a taste, just remember as it sit some spices will melow out and blend into the flavors. One other factore different onion will change flavors - red yellow and white each impart their own undertones and sharpness , pungent or sweetness and if you want a hotter chutney leave the membrain in the fresh hot peppers. this one tends to have a sweeter tone then some chutneys with a slight caramel nutty undertones resulting from cooking it down.

@daveb thanks again for your help
ill give it a go and let you know how i go
last one i made had bay leaves in it as well. i cant find the recipe i had for it. i have a heap of chilli and curry leaves so i will make it quite hot with cayenne and habanero chillies
i will put a few curry leaves in it also
i will put a mix of red brown and white onions in it. i did this last time i made chutney.
once again thanks heaps i really appreciate your help
shep

@daveb thanks again for your help
ill give it a go and let you know how i go
last one i made had bay leaves in it as well. i cant find the recipe i had for it. i have a heap of chilli and curry leaves so i will make it quite hot with cayenne and habanero chillies
i will put a few curry leaves in it also
i will put a mix of red brown and white onions in it. i did this last time i made chutney.
once again thanks heaps i really appreciate your help
shep
sorry my bad i did forget to type out the bay leafs in it. and i did not put in the sprig of curry because very few places offer it for sale

the recipe i use you can add the bay leasf 2 to 3, and a sprig of curry leafs ( 6 to 8 curry leafs ),

the other addition i use in the indian style chutney i have is an addition spice blend but it is also something most will not have or not familar is "garam masala" and it also varies region to region and seasonally as what spices get use in the garam. addition 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ( to taste )
thing is cooking is an art work its a precentation to the palate to taste and savor

this was given me from a very old friend there rendition of garam masala
⅓ cup cumin seeds
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 (4 inch) cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
5 bay leaves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
5 whole star anise pods
14 cardamom pods mix of green and black
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon each whole black and white peppercorns
1 teaspoon ground mace
Fennel (saunf)
Red chili powder (laal mirch)

one i have messed around with in small batches
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
½ teaspoon whole cloves
2 dried red chile peppers, seeds discarded
2 tablespoons ground turmeric

Tomato Onion Garlic Chutney is a flavorful and versatile condiment that pairs well with various dishes. Here's a simple recipe for you:

Ingredients:​

• 3 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
  • 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2-3 dry red chillies (adjust to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon oil (for sautéing)

Instructions:​

1. Prepare Ingredients:
    • Chop tomatoes and onions, peel garlic cloves, and set aside.
  2. Sauté Ingredients:
    • Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter.
    • Add asafoetida, chopped onions, and peeled garlic cloves. Sauté until onions turn golden brown.
  3. Add Tomatoes and Chilies:
    • Add chopped tomatoes and dry red chilies. Sauté until tomatoes are soft and the mixture is well-cooked.
  4. Cool the Mixture:
    • Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
  5. Blend to a Smooth Paste:
    • Transfer the cooled mixture to a blender or food processor. Add salt to taste.
    • Blend to a smooth paste. You can add a little water if needed.
  6. Temper the Chutney:
    • In a small pan, heat a teaspoon of oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
    • Pour the tempering over the chutney and mix well.
  7. Serve:
    • Tomato Onion Garlic Chutney is ready to be served!
    • You can enjoy it with dosa, idli, chapati, rice, or as a spread for sandwiches.

Tips:​

• Adjust Spice Level: You can control the spice level by adjusting the quantity of red chilies.
  • Texture Preference: If you prefer a chunkier chutney, pulse the ingredients a few times for a coarse texture.
  • Storage: Store the chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It stays fresh for a few days.
  • Variations: Feel free to add a pinch of tamarind for a tangy twist or a handful of fresh coriander leaves for added freshness.

Chop up about 4-5 ripe tomatoes, a couple of medium-sized onions, a few cloves of garlic (adjust to taste), and a couple of fresh chilies (again, adjust based on your spice tolerance). Heat up some oil in a pan, toss in your chopped onions and garlic, and sauté until they're nice and golden. Add in your chopped tomatoes and chilies, along with a pinch of salt, a dash of sugar, and a splash of vinegar (apple cider vinegar works well). Let everything simmer together until the tomatoes break down and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

Chop up about 4-5 ripe tomatoes, a couple of medium-sized onions, a few cloves of garlic (adjust to taste), and a couple of fresh chilies (again, adjust based on your spice tolerance). Heat up some oil in a pan, toss in your chopped onions and garlic, and sauté until they're nice and golden. Add in your chopped tomatoes and chilies, along with a pinch of salt, a dash of sugar, and a splash of vinegar (apple cider vinegar works well). Let everything simmer together until the tomatoes break down and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Now, about those korean corn dogs you mentioned... Aren't they just the perfect snack? I mean, who can resist that combination of crispy, savory batter and gooey cheese?

Does anyone have any poor-man's recipes? I don't have all the spices mentioned. Or perhaps know of items that could be exchanged for other more common ones?
I've looked for asafoetida, but people kept saying just use garlic instead? I love garlic, so that's fine with me. But just checking with the pros here ;)

asafoetida adds its own character but many people have reactions to it as in severe gas
nothing wrong with adjusting these recipes to own taste

these should be pretty common for spices omit mix match that the art of cooking and remember one thingnthe spices will mellow out as it ages

use these with the brown sugar and honey with the pepper and onions from recipe way up
5-7 cloves garlic
⅓ cup cumin seeds
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 (4 inch) cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
5 bay leaves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon each whole black and white peppercorns
1 teaspoon ground mace
Red chili powder (laal mirch)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 - 2 tsp salt