Question Live Quail Source in Southern British Columbia

gashcrof

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
After watching Mark's videos on quail, I am thinking that I would like to try some for eggs to start, then if they work out well, for the meat.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Depends on which quail you get really. We had Chinese dwarf quaill and I absolutely loved their (tiny) eggs. They made every dish look so unique and were just as easy to prepare as chicken eggs (If not easier - but a little more work if you want a large amount as you have to crack a lot of eggs).
You wouldn't think about using that specie for meat though, as they'd simply not be worth eating. Too small.

Even other quail I had my doubt about - but they were easier to take care of than our chickens. They would love to eat left-over or "second-hand" seed that our canaries wouldn't eat anymore. Only during egg laying seasons we would give them a little boost of nutrients, but I think that was mostly because we incubated the eggs to get more quail. Some we kept, some we sold.

gashcrof

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you for the advice on quail! The problem I have here is finding any quail to get started and was hoping that someone on the forum may be from my area and might know.

Boiled quail eggs are a great protein addition to noodle soups. I had them in noodle soup in China, very delicious.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I hope someone knows! Sadly I don't.
Maybe you can make a request on Facebook marketplace or other marketplaces. I'm not sure what your area uses to market on.

gashcrof

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Why didn't I think of Facebook Marketplace! lol Actually it is quite popular here and where most people I think buy and sell stuff, so thanks for the great suggestion.

Top Bottom