Question Leeks

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all just wondering if other growers are finding that the leeks are not forming properly in their center and also forming seed heads while they are young. i have attached a couple of picture showing what the leeks look like inside at about 14 weeks. I have not seen this happen before and wondering if they have just not matured yet

Rick

Attachments

• 20201126_162526..jpg
    20201126_162526..jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20201126_162538..jpg
    20201126_162538..jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 164

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Rick,
It is a strange year (plus the last three) in the garden, my leeks grew and developed "normally" or should I say - as expected - but just down the road, others have had the same thing you have had, This year, my brown onions were young and unformed and went to seed immediately and someone over the hill and down the way a bit is harvesting the most beautiful home grown onions!!
I guess it depends on the weather and water and soil types and how much food they are getting. I planted some onions a few weeks later than these that have gone to seed and they are doing as expected. I think that what we think of as 'normal' in the garden has jumped over the fence, I'm thinking that succession planting for the traditional period of growing for each crop may be the way to ensure some success?

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Vicky i planted these leeks as seedling and also grew some from seeds directly into the garden. The seeds directly into the garden have growing well and don't seem to have the same problem as the seedlings. I also have planted brown onions as seedings and they as well as the leeks seedlings seeded early about 3 months in. Cut the heads of the brown onions but they have grown large and well but don't seem to want to mature. 5 months in and i am still waiting on the onion stems to fall over. Be interesting to see if others had the same issues with seedlings and not seeds

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
so, the seeds you planted into the garden yourself, were they the same variety as the seedlings? I'm going to assume that you purchased the seedlings locally? I wonder if they were started elsewhere and were shipped to your area (supply and demand) which may have set them back (changing conditions from one climate to another) or something like that?

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Vicky the seeds were my own from last year crop and yes the same variety as the seedlings. The seedlings came from Bunnings at the time just after mass buying of seedling due to everyone staying at home starting to grow their own vegies. (COVID- VIC) . the suppliers needing to supply could have bought them from anywhere ??? just speculating but yes this could be one reason for the problem. Or to get supplies these could have been processed to fast. wonder if this has been a common thing this year for other or a seasonal issue.

Julie-Jane

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My leeks did the same this year, even the perennial leeks flowered which I didn't think they were supposed to do. Elephant garlic (leek family) performed well though. Southern Adelaide

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Julie yes my yellow and spring onions grew very well. Its strange spoke to a suppler the other day and he told me that seeds are very scarce at the moment and have been for a long time (supply and demand). They have to import from over seas to meet demand. I have also found that my last 3 packets of carrots seeds that were purchased 2 month ago, have only had a 20% success rate in germinating. Funny enough carrots are one of the scarce seeds/seedlings.

Top Bottom