Krystie from Red Earth Farm North Toowoomba

Red Earth Farm

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My husband and I purchased an 80 acre farm up in the fertile red soil hills North of Toowoomba about 4 years ago. Over that time we slogged away trying to create a permaculture haven for ourselves to enjoy (still a work in progress) . Our vision was to be a self sufficient, chemical free farm, but we are so much more then that!
Some of our interests and things we are slowly putting into practice on our farm are, agro foresty, native bush foods, homesteading, ancient grains, medicinal herbs.
Our property was full of Lantana, Wattle and every other annoying weed you can think of........cobbler pegs, sticky beaks, farmers friends, whatever you call them...... Anyhow, one of the amazing attributes to this property is it already had a small avocado orchard established! The orchard was a mess, Lantana and wattle growing up through the canopy everywhere, the irrigation was no longer functioning as the roots had penetrated the lines, and some avos had reverted back to their root stock. So we have been busy! And this year is our first year we have had a good enough crop to sell to our local community!!

So happy to be apart of the Self Sufficient Me tribe, thank you Mark!
And Nina, high fives from us to you, you did an amazing job on your 21 day challenge :yahoo:

Regards Krystie
Red Earth Farm

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 209
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 215
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My husband and I purchased an 80 acre farm up in the fertile red soil hills North of Toowoomba about 4 years ago. Over that time we slogged away trying to create a permaculture haven for ourselves to enjoy (still a work in progress) . Our vision was to be a self sufficient, chemical free farm, but we are so much more then that!
Some of our interests and things we are slowly putting into practice on our farm are, agro foresty, native bush foods, homesteading, ancient grains, medicinal herbs (yes, i'm a witch at heart :p) .
Our property was full of Lantana, Wattle and every other annoying weed you can think of........cobbler pegs, sticky beaks, farmers friends, whatever you call them...... Anyhow, one of the amazing attributes to this property is it already had a small avocado orchard established! The orchard was a mess, Lantana and wattle growing up through the canopy everywhere, the irrigation was no longer functioning as the roots had penetrated the lines, and some avos had reverted back to their root stock. So we have been busy! And this year is our first year we have had a good enough crop to sell to our local community!!

So happy to be apart of the Self Sufficient Me tribe, thank you Mark!
And Nina, high fives from us to you, you did an amazing job on your 21 day challenge :yahoo:

Regards Krystie
Red Earth Farm

Great job! Happy to watch the ongoing development.

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'Day and welcome.

Nothing good comes without the hard yakka first. Congrats on the outcome.....looks great.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Krystie,

look at those avos! :twothumbsup:

Toowoomba is such a great place to grow avocadoes I have fond memories growing up there as a child and eating avos galore grown on my Grandparent's property.

Thanks for joining us! :)

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I had two avo trees growing here and in the first year that they fruited we needed to do some earth works in the same place and so the avo trees needed to be relocated. They did not like it and turned their toes up. I must try again. Welcome to the forum!!

Red Earth Farm

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Krystie,

look at those avos! :twothumbsup:

Toowoomba is such a great place to grow avocadoes I have fond memories growing up there as a child and eating avos galore grown on my Grandparent's property.

Thanks for joining us! :)
If you are up this way Mark, call in for a visit and see what we're up to! you can contact me through my Insta red_earth_farm_geham
All the best :)

Red Earth Farm

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I had two avo trees growing here and in the first year that they fruited we needed to do some earth works in the same place and so the avo trees needed to be relocated. They did not like it and turned their toes up. I must try again. Welcome to the forum!!
That's such a shame! I vote try, try again :)

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes, I have just heard of an avocado called Secondo from Daley's so I am interested in one of those. I will also be looking for a B avocado to assist with pollination.

Reactions: Geo
Top Bottom