Keyhole beds

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all, I've been super busy lately, so haven't been around here as much. I thought I would share our exploration of how to build cheaper raised beds.

The first attempt was done in late Jan using 100x3 flat bar welded to reo bar & lined with rodent mesh to help hold the soil in. It has worked fantastic, but did take a day to put together & requires a welder.

Both are approximately 5.5 mtrs diameter (18 ft), so about the same growing area as a 25mtr long standard bed. But everything is easy to reach with no crawling around :)

1 month of growth, jalepenos, habernero, sage, parsley, french marigold, sunflowers & purple basil.

IMG_2009.jpg
IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

The second build is underway next to it & has been much faster, taking around 4 hours & would probably be possible to do just wiring it together. This one is made using a single sheet of reinforcing mesh cut into 3 strips at 600mm high & some bird netting to line it. We will be filling this one up tomorrow.

IMG_2370.jpg

I'm also experimenting with growing a raised bed. We prepped the soil in the pattern we want the bed, then planted sunflowers densely around the perimeter, with the intention of cutting them back to bed height once they have finished flowering, then weaving willow branches through them to form the wall.

I didn't think of this idea until late in the season though, so the sunflowers may not grow fast enough to get to size before the cold nights arrive unfortunately.

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What a fantastic idea. They look beautiful.
The woven bed idea is interesting. I'm looking to do woven edging around a succulent bed so you might just inspire me to get out there and do it.

Top Bottom