Kale tips

Jason890

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This a little tip my mum showed me not that big a deal and people probably already know it but it’s new to me when harvesting kale and other leafy crops instead of whacking in the fridge if you gather a little to much put in a flower vase with water it will last for days on the kitchen bench just like it’s still growing

Attachments

• C67C15CB-DBAB-4F36-BC20-3D1902618FF8.jpeg
    C67C15CB-DBAB-4F36-BC20-3D1902618FF8.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 82

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Do you think this works in warmer climates (without airconditioning) too? :D
If you can keep cut flowers alive for a few days, I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't work for leafy greens.

Some people also put a spoon of sugar in their vases, or use half lemonade (as in the sugared Aussie clear soft drink, not the American lemon juice version) half water to keep them alive a bit longer. I don't know if it works, never seemed to make much difference for me - mind, I don't usually tend to have cut flowers in the house unless someone gives me a bunch which has happened like twice in my life - but others swear by it, so there might be something to it.

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Ah, kale. The one green I cannot eat! About two years ago I started adding kale to my morning smoothies. Within a week I broke out in this horrid rash over my abdomen. So I troubleshooted my diet and stopped eating certain things for a month. Sure enough when I came around to ditching the kale, the rash disappeared and hasn't come back since! I'm not sure if it was some pesticide on the kale or heavy metals (kale is known to absorb higher-than-usual quantities of Thallium and Caesium, for example). Sad, cuz I liked kale chips!

Top Bottom