Dismiss Notice
Today's Birthdays
  • William Welch
  • winston h

Featured just to many mushroom

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Robbie, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    i had so many mushrooms flushing at the same time QLD, Tan and Yellow oyster mushrooms will dehydrate these for later use in soup and stews and tonight mushroom risotto and a Asian style mushroom soup for lunch tomorrow :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Robbie, a trick for mushrooms is to slice thinly then lay on a tray & place in the sun for 5-6hours.
    Because the mushrooms are actually still alive, when exposed to sunlight the gills make vitamin K, particularly VitK2.
    This is very important along with vitD3 for directly calcium away from the blood stream (where it settles as plaque) into the joints where it should be.
    Once the mushrooms have made the VitK, it stays in them. So they can be eaten raw or cooked without loosing the VitK.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Yes and absorb alot of vitamin D from the sun. I have some growing in my wood chip path where i mulch with spent substrate from the buckets that i grow them in. Mushrooms should not be over look as a food crop for there health benefits.

4. Troy

Troy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I have tried a couple of times to grow mushrooms with the kits from Bunnings, not a single mushroom. I would love to read more about how you got such a lovely harvest.

5. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Troy I think bunnings has the button mushrooms i grow oyster mushroom in 5 Lt bucket pic below.
    These where growing in sugar cane mulch but can be grown in paper pellets (kitty litter) fresh not used lol, hardwood saw dust (hardwood full pellets broken down in water)

I will try to wright everything down that i do and post it up. here is a video on youtube that may explain some of it. You can buy ready made grow kits and grain spawn from a few places i use aussie mushroom supplies for grain spawn

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. reeeen4

reeeen4 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Yeah I tried growing mushrooms from bunnings too many years ago now and I couldn’t figure out how moist to keep it, they said to mist it a few time’s a day and we did but the soil still dried out then became hydrophobic. They look amazing though!! I’ve always wanted to grow oyster mushrooms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Troy

Troy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I think I will definitely have to give that a go. We always have an abundance of sugar cane much so that makes it more viable. His shiitake video looks pretty interesting as well. Would you be able to recommend you Aussie distributor?

8. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Troy you will need to pasturise your sugar cane with hydrated lime 1 tsp per 1 Lt of water, hydrated lime (builder lime) is not garden lime you can get it from Bunnings in 20 kg bags it is cheap and can be use in the garden as well. Soak it for a coulpe of hours and dain it when you squeeze it there shouldn't be any water dripping from it, for 5Lt bucket mix 1.5 cups of grain spawn into the sugar cane and fill your bucket firmly. I pre drill about 8 13mm holes around the bucket. I also put m3 microporous tape (from your chemist) over the holes for oxygen co2 exchange and to stop mold spores getting in and contaminating the substrate.

I get my grain spawn from https://www.aussimushroomsupplies.com/ thay have heaps of different strains qld oyster is a good one to start with but choose one that suits your temperature range here in tassie we are comeing into winter so I've just started growin Tan and Pearl Oyster mushrooms

Happy shrooming

9. Vicky

Vicky Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)