Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
;) Altruistic if not for the massive $ involved!
Arguably too much money yes I agree - medical expenses are way overpriced here in Australia (but I guess I'm going off topic now) :rolleyes:

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Like pretty much everything, selective breeding has its pros and cons...As a dog lover, I'm the first to admit that a "bitsa" from the pound is most likely to be more robust from a health point of view than an overbred (and often interbred) "purebreed"...Yet my dogs are always purebreds because with them, I can reasonably know what to expect from temperament, appearance, health issues etc. Sure there's also a large degree of snobbery that goes with this. (I happen to think Hungarian Vizslas are the most attractive dog on earth...but, you know, just my opinion!)
With hens I presume it's similar (and I admit I don't keep chickens so I really don't know first hand). Selectively breed them for egg laying and they're probably going to to have a shorter life due to the physical stress that goes with that. I think, like Clissat, if losing your hens early is emotionally difficult (I am devastated about losing animals) go with the more robust heritage version.
There is of course a significant difference between GMO and selective breeding (which has been practiced for as long as we've had domesticated animals).
As an aside - some of the most compassionate & respectful O&Gs I know are men!

Top Bottom