DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi folks,

Because we are away a lot these days (early phase of "empty nest" plus "retirement") I have installed irrigation systems for my fruit and vegetables. I usually turn them off when we are at home and water manually with the hose. I have tried other types previously, and currently have the brown piping with small holes each 30cm or so. I found the watering is too concentrated for seeds/seedlings, and seeds/seedlings in between missed out. I have just added drippers in between the little holes on a couple of beds but this is an expensive way to do it when I have quite a bit to irrigate. I am keen to hear what others are using - grateful for any hints / suggestions. Thanks,

Attachments

spector

Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I like soaker hose for areas that need uniform coverage. Another option, if it will fit your system, is the tiny little sprinkler-type heads you can put in place of a drip emitter. I have those in my vegetable garden, because I have one bed with alpine strawberries, and they tend to die out in dry spots. Seem so to be watering everything, as I have no holes in the vegetative beds.