Question Interspecies Tree Refinement

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi :)

I have always seen how professionals refine flowers or trees by sticking one twig to a stump of sorts of the same plant kind, eg. good apple tree twig to robust apple tree stump = healthy apple tree.
I'm wondering if this 'refinement' is also possible between tree species, such as adding apples or other juice intensive fruits to stumps like a walnut tree, weeping willow or birch, because of their very strong 'tree juice flow'?
If it would indeed grow, would the fruits still be safe to eat or can some mixture or other result in poison produce? --- ooor, would the fruit genes mix resulting possible abominations?

**edit: could one also mix vegs and fruits? peapples?! :cool:

- thanks

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
There are limited species that like to play together from what I understand.

Look up 'the tree of 40 fruit' for an idea of what is possible with grafting - plums, cherries, almonds, apricots, nectarines all on the same tree.

Then you have the hybrids eg- plumcots & apriums where the fruit is a combination of 2 or more varieties.

Some vegies can be grafted, like you can graft a tomato onto a potato plant, which I guess is technically a fruit & vegie combo, but cross pollination doesn't generally happen between different species.

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
In the UK apples are often grafted onto quince trees, so I guess some species play well together. Although both are in the family Rosaceae.

Tomato and potato are both the solanacaea family so that would work ok.

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
grafting - that's the word I was meaning, yup :)
thanks for the infos
..yet, any ideas about the " juice intensive fruits to stumps like a walnut tree, weeping willow or birch, because of their very strong 'tree juice flow' " -part?
> I'm finding zero info on that. surely somebody else might have thought or tried that before -- or am I totally on the wrong track here :D

Top Bottom