Gardening Insect mesh yay or nay

Berk

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark, just wondering why you don't use more insect meshing on your garden? Just not worth it because your other insect prevention methods work enough or is it something else?

I'm planning a veggie garden reno and am considering a fully insect mesh enclosed walk in "green house" style garden. Mainly to keep out my chickens and dogs but not having to worry about insects or other critters seems like a big plus also.

Thanks mate and keep up the awesome work

t4ms

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've just removed my netting from my baby brassicas 😬

I purchased cauli/broccoli/cabbage seedlings from a supplier and netted them in a raised garden bed. The problem was that I imported a pest/pests with the seedlings and I had a lovely environment for them to thrive in as I had netted out all of their predators. Liz from Byther Farm relates the same story in Grounded.

I think a large green house sounds better as it eliminates other problems like having to fight with the netting to water/inspect but I think you should research how to establish a healthy ecosystem within this greenhouse as you don't want to shut out beneficial insects etc.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark, just wondering why you don't use more insect meshing on your garden? Just not worth it because your other insect prevention methods work enough or is it something else?

I'm planning a veggie garden reno and am considering a fully insect mesh enclosed walk in "green house" style garden. Mainly to keep out my chickens and dogs but not having to worry about insects or other critters seems like a big plus also.

Thanks mate and keep up the awesome work
Mark used to, but from my understanding he chose to grow more than he needs instead. This way there is plenty left for his and his family, even after the bugs have come and gone. On top of that, weak/diseased plants tend to attract more bugs/diseases than healthy ones, at least in my experience.
He also visits his garden multiple times daily, so he can see where and when bugs are active and can react to that. He's actually made a video on what he uses to kill/repel bugs!

It mainly depends on your preferences and what bugs you struggle with in your area.

Mark's video;

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I’m of a similar philosophy as Mandy just described…I will exclude what I need to when I need to, but as @t4ms described, it can depend on what pest(s) you may be trying to keep out, what predates on what you’re trying to keep out, and if you’re growing flowering vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, cucurbits, etc) you’ll need to allow access for pollinators.

I’ve come to the conclusion that a healthy ecosystem with good diversity should be able to take care of any outbreaks.

Kasalia

http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/
Premium Member
Website
retired2006.blogspot.com.au
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I live in subtropical and surround by blueberry farms fully netted against birds and fruit fly. For myself though I only net against brassicas and large tomatoes, cherry tomatoes don't get attacked.
As wonderful as a large netted garden sounds it is expensive, all at once. Wind is a pollinator for tomatoes and corn for example and netting can cut this back. Are you adding bees or keeping the doors open, which will also allow cabbage moth in. Or are you just protecting against birds?
Would a fence or raised beds be easier for dogs and chickens.
I had the same idea as you but ended up following a system by Jeff Ball now deceased,

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653259630603.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653259630603.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom