Inquiry - Making my own VegeGarden Bed

Spawn

Jul 11, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Greetings all.
New here and wanted a little advice.

I am wanting to setup 2 Vegetable Gardens in my back yard.
I have to honest with myself and know my limitations.

With that being said, I am looking at building 2 separate raised beds. Raised beds to save knees for my wife and I.
That being said, I am looking at making 2 beds. 8 feet long. 3 feet wide. 3 feet tall.

I was looking at buying some Cedar fence posts. Planting those for the 4 corners.
Along each side, I have not decided, either 1 or 2 posts to brace the sides.
Then for the actual siding, I was thinking of simply using Cedar Fence Pickets.

Do you have any thoughts on that design? You think it will handle a bed being 3 feet tall?
Any recommendations?

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Check out the beds that Josh made which are a very similar size. Fence pickets could work, but they may bow out under the weight of soil, so could require extra posts on the side. You would also want to line it with plastic to extend the life of the wood.

Reactions: JoshW

Spawn

Jul 11, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Check out the beds that Josh made which are a very similar size. Fence pickets could work, but they may bow out under the weight of soil, so could require extra posts on the side. You would also want to line it with plastic to extend the life of the wood.

I was concerned about the same thing on the bowing...which is why I was asking.
I was thinking about doing something like he was showing...I believe it was galvanized aluminum, cedar posts. Screws and a wood cap essentially. I may end up doing something like that more.