Incubator Chinese No name JN 48 Manual

Mike

Premium Member
Hi Mark and thanks for your response,

I added some eggs yesterday just for testing for the first round. I am attaching some images as well below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lem2azva2m0tthf/2015-01-23 07.43.17.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb12fjyar4m9w8l/2015-01-22 18.33.09.jpg?dl=0

What my main concern is, is that all 3 thermometers/hygrometer show different things.

Specifically this morning:

Incubator: 37.6 / 60%
Big white inside: IN: 35.6 , OUT: 38.3 (this is strange since both indications should be the same - both device and wire with sensor are place in the same area) / 76%
Small white inside: 36 / 69%

By the way these are the 2 tools i am using:

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GTI-Pro-D...ure-Thermometer-Indoor-Outdoor-/300912770922?
2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Digi...dity-Hygrometer-Meter-Gauge-UK-/400797766396?

I really do not know which is the correct one so i am working based on the incubator's indications for the time being. I guess i need to buy another thermometer/hygrometer in order to come to the right conclusion.

Also regarding the 2 water channels. By looking the image below you can see that it is basically one channel and not 2 like the other incubators of the same model. i do not know why. I just filled it in all the way to the top.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o355h453espppe8/2015-01-22 17.58.54.jpg?dl=0

Looking forward for your comments

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You will get slight temp variations from different areas within the incubator (maybe .5) but you don't want to be out several degrees. Perhaps you could try a simple mercury thermometer - just a very small one (good quality) and lay it on top of your eggs so you can read it without opening the incubator and you know it's a s close to the egg temp as you can get (they don't cost much and are pretty handy for a second/third reading).

When I had my Hovabator all I ever used was a single manual mercury thermometer which came with the unit and I rarely had any issues. Then, at least you know it can't be a digital fault.

So you have only two chambers in your floor... Just use the centre chamber for now and make sure there's no spillage over into the other floor area because this will increase the humidity. You don't want to make it too humid inside otherwise you can drown the eggs - the eggs must be able to breathe. It's better to have less humidity than too much when incubating. Only increase the humidity during hatching.

Try and keep the temp as stable as possible don't open the incubator up too often or for too long.

Good luck!

Savvas

Premium Member
GOLD
Dear Mark u are info about incubator was very helpful very good job from u. I wont to know u are opinion about JANOEL8-48. In the ebay i find too much model JANOEL 8-48. Which one model u sagest me? Thx a lot

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Savvas and welcome to SSC!

The JANOEL 8-48 looks identical to the JN 48 and the truth is they do an ok job but if you can afford to buy a better brand such as Brinsea octagon then I would recommend paying the extra.

How many eggs do you think you will usually need to incubate at a time? Perhaps buy a better model but smaller to save costs. But if you really are set of getting the JANOEL 8-48 I hope it lasts longer than mine did :)

Savvas

Premium Member
GOLD
Dear Mark thx a lot for u are reply i search for the Brinsea just now and i thing was to expensive for me. U have use the janoel 8-48 and if yes how much % was u are success? This that i interest to buy was this one item number from ebay (321219059338)

Mike

Premium Member
Dear Savvas,
I have the exact incubator from the same buyer. I am quite satisfied by its functionality so far, even if i used it only 2-3 times so far. There is only one thing that i have noticed that it is not working perfectly. So did Mark from what we have talked about.

- The temperature indications differs in different areas in the internal space of the machine. For example i have 2 thermometers in the machine. One in the left side and one in the right side of it. One shows 37.7 and the order 37.1. this is not necessarily a disadvantage, since the incubation will be still successful.

Rather than that it is what we call "value for money". An inexpensive incubator that can hold a descent amount of eggs each time.

By the way are you from Greece or Cyprus?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Dear Mark thx a lot for u are reply i search for the Brinsea just now and i thing was to expensive for me. U have use the janoel 8-48 and if yes how much % was u are success? This that i interest to buy was this one item number from ebay (321219059338)
Yes, the Brinsea range are very expensive unfortunately...

As Mike said above this incubator is pretty good value for money and when mine worked I had good hatch rates.

After about 2 years my JN 48 (same as 8-48) started malfunctioning - the heating element was not working correctly and the thermostat was not regulating the temp correctly so I threw my in the tip. I guess I did get some good use out of it and for the price I paid it wasn't too bad.

Savvas

Premium Member
GOLD
Thx for u are replys. I am from CYPRUS. This incubator that i interest it turn the eggs every 2 hours this was good or u thing that was to much time ?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thx for u are replys. I am from CYPRUS. This incubator that i interest it turn the eggs every 2 hours this was good or u thing that was to much time ?
No problem!

Turning the eggs every 2 hours is fine Savvas. If turning eggs by hand (manually) it only really needs to be done 2 or 3 times a day.

Savvas

Premium Member
GOLD
Dear Mike
DO u have try to hatch 2 different eggs (ex.quail and pheasant ) the same time to the incubator that u have buy?
Thx a lot

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've hatched out quail and chickens together, and chickens and ducks together - the quail hatch about 3 days before the chickens so it works out ok and the chickens hatch out way before the ducks so it works out fine also (although in general hatching out different species together isn't recommended) I haven't had any problems doing it myself.

Savvas

Premium Member
GOLD
Dear Mark because the quail hatching days was 18 and the pheasant was 23 was better to put inside the incubator the pheasant eggs first and after 5 days to add the quail eggs so to synchronized the time that i will stop turn all the eggs (quail and pheasant)? I wont to know how much day before i must to stop turning the eggs i thing that was 2 right ex the pheasant eggs need 23 days so i must to stop turning in 21 days?
Thx a lot

Ann

Premium Member
GOLD
Hi, I have this Janoel incubator. I am on my third hatch now. What I found was if I keep both water channels filled the humidy stayed pretty constant. I worried to much about regulating. Now that I don't I am having much better succes. At lockdown I take out the Turner, put down anti slip mat add water to both channels and cut sponges and add water to outside the channel and sponges. I then leave it alone. Its hard, but am better at it now. My first two hatches were shipped eggs. Only 2 hatched. A pullet and cockeral. Second hatch, shipped eggs plus some from my neighbor. 18 hatched. This hatch, 32 neighbor eggs. At candeling this morning, good movement in the 6 or so eggs candeled! So exciting! Good luck!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
At lockdown I take out the Turner, put down anti slip mat add water to both channels and cut sponges and add water to outside the channel and sponges.
That's a great idea/tip to use sponges as a way to increase humidity!

Yeah, it seems the most common problem people are having with this incubator is setting the humidity levels. I also have had good results with less fiddling (especially towards the end of the incubation period) but it can be tempting to keep adjusting the settings etc - it's not the best thing to do though...

Mike

Premium Member
Hi everyone. It is my 3rd hatching attempt and i am having some issues with the humidity myself. My machine shows 58% humidity but the hygrometer i have inside shows 76%. It is a huge difference. I put about 100ml of water every 24 hours since the level drops at 30%. But the point is that whatever the amount of water i add the level goes way up to 58%. Will that be an issue?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
But the point is that whatever the amount of water i add the level goes way up to 58%. Will that be an issue?
58% should be fine Mike but I wouldn't keep the humidity above 70's during the normal incubation period as the high humidity may smother the eggs. Remember, it's not the amount of water you put in it's the area it covers that greatly influences the humidity - ie you can regulate by only filling up one section and then during hatching you can use the other sections/channels to increase the humidity around the 60's to 70's.

Shawn S.

Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread but there are seems to be knowledgeable people here.

I have this brand of incubator but my issue is that the heating element doesn't appear the shut off. I have factory reset the settings and I have also tried tinkering the settings but there are no changes. The incubator digital display rises to 40.5 c but a glass thermometer I put inside is at its limit at 48-50 c.

I want the temp to be around 37.5-37.6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread but there are seems to be knowledgeable people here.

I have this brand of incubator but my issue is that the heating element doesn't appear the shut off. I have factory reset the settings and I have also tried tinkering the settings but there are no changes. The incubator digital display rises to 40.5 c but a glass thermometer I put inside is at its limit at 48-50 c.

I want the temp to be around 37.5-37.6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
No need to apologise it's a perfectly suitable question for this thread.

Have you tried adjusting the high and low temp ranges? My guess is you have. ..

Then I would say the thermostat is malfunctioning. How old is the unit?

Shawn S.

Thanks for your reply.

I have adjusted the high and low temp ranges

The unit is brand new.

I bought it off eBay. The seller is slow to respond. The last response suggested in might be the "heater" (I assume he means the heating element).

What part is the thermostat? That was the same thing I assumed. Something is not telling the heating element to shut off. Is the thermostat just built into the controller?

Top Bottom