I know what I’ll be doing this weekend...

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
A702EBEF-AD3D-4EAF-B484-635898395661.jpeg

This shipment arrived today. Based on my schedule I guess it will be Sunday that I take them out to the acreage for planting. Things are still a bit cool here (in the 10 C / 50 F range), but our typical last frost is about 2-3 weeks away so we are gearing up. She Who Must Be Obeyed is off work next week, so she may look to get out and procure some of the bedding plants that we want to get.

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
This past week, She Who Must Be Obeyed was off work (it was the second time we were slated to be on a photo safari in South Africa ) and went to a local nursery. She came home with work. Aside from some vegetable starts, she came home with 4 haskaps, a nine bark, and lilac to plant in the country. So we were back out there to plant, water, mulch and so on. It is nice to see spring progressing.

I’m cultivating a section out there that I want to plant to the native tall grass prairie plants. Seed is scarce this spring, so I wanted to keep the weeds down. Today, she broadcast sugar beet seed on a portion of that ground. If they sprout and produce, they will help to aerate the soil. Then we would be able to harvest some and play around with natural sweeteners. There used to be a sugar factory here that processed sugar beets into refined sugar. That place closed down years ago, so without an outlet this side of the border (there’s plants and a lot of sugar beets grown across the border in North Dakota), farmers stopped growing them. I know they produce in out climate. A while back I’d searched on how to process them. I may not go all the way to attempting to process crystalline sugar, but may leave at least some in a syrup form. At any rate, I’m excited about the experiment.

We aren’t yet beyond our average date of last frost, but it was around 27 C (about 80 F) out there today. There was a bit of sweat involved.

On getting back into the city, I made a point of looking around the yard here. I see the first few blossoms on our semi-sweet cherry. Life is good. Now, if it would just rain.

The phone is full and I forgot to bring the camera out today...sigh. Getting old isn’t for the faint of heart. I have a fair amount of wood chips yet to mulch the new trees / shrubs and some of the existing stuff with. Once I do a minor repair to my chipper / shredder, I’ll be able to make more too.

Top Bottom