Hugelkulter........or "Dougalkulter" .....???

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
So as discussed a wee while back in another thread, I utilised a small part sun/shade area of the back garden and built me a raised hugelkulter mound out of left over garden logs and branches (rather than cut and chuck). Covered and packed in compost and some left over soil, whacked in a few seeds / seedlings and see how it goes.

Seems to be growing okay with the recent big rains really giving it a huge soaking, plus it soaks up rain run off as per the below.

upload_2020-2-26_12-28-49.jpeg

and now a couple of weeks post the rain and some sun it's kicking on well...even the old tree log shot out some new growth from underneath. Lettuce has come on (just now) as too the zuc's. Leeks and Strawberry's (old runners) surviving too.
upload_2020-2-26_12-29-31.jpeg

Anyhoo....what's Dougalkulter?? Well when I was looking at this mound the other day it reminded me of Dougal the Dog (from those old enough to remember) from the Magical Roundabout show of the early 70's.

DOUGAL-AND-THE-BLUE-CAT-006.jpg

Me thinks those at the BBC who created this show grew their own mushrooms.:D

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Greg looks good I think they are a great idea I have a couple planned for our place. I love the comparison with Dougal. Dave

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Look like the ideal place to grow mushrooms just through on some hardwood wood chips and
RED WINE CAP/ KING STROPHARIA mushroom spawn grain to inoculate just keep it damp you will get two flushs a year spring and autumn will need to top it up with wood chip every year and they have a great symbiotic relationship with your trees and plants

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Look like the ideal place to grow mushrooms just through on some hardwood wood chips and
RED WINE CAP/ KING STROPHARIA mushroom spawn grain to inoculate just keep it damp you will get two flushs a year spring and autumn will need to top it up with wood chip every year and they have a great symbiotic relationship with your trees and plants

Cheers for the idea Robbie.

Would I be fine using the commercial hardwood chip from Bunnings...re image below and just making a couple of inch thick bed of chip and the adding the inoculate then spawn later on?

9bfbda7c-2a81-48c3-af14-a669f51b4684.jpg

Are these commercial offerings any good. Refer link below. If you have a recommended supplier, I'm all ears.

https://www.aussimushroomsupplies.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=699

Cheers

Greg W

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Cheers for the idea Robbie.

Would I be fine using the commercial hardwood chip from Bunnings...re image below and just making a couple of inch thick bed of chip and the adding the inoculate then spawn later on?

9bfbda7c-2a81-48c3-af14-a669f51b4684.jpg

Are these commercial offerings any good. Refer link below. If you have a recommended supplier, I'm all ears.

https://www.aussimushroomsupplies.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=699

Cheers

Greg W
As long as they have not been treated with any chemicals they would be fine there are some really good video's on youtube look up wine cap mushrooms very easy to get growing with minimal effect. If you know someone growing them they could give you some of there wood chip that are already growing strongly, and place them under your wood chip.

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
So as discussed a wee while back in another thread, I utilised a small part sun/shade area of the back garden and built me a raised hugelkulter mound out of left over garden logs and branches (rather than cut and chuck). Covered and packed in compost and some left over soil, whacked in a few seeds / seedlings and see how it goes.

Seems to be growing okay with the recent big rains really giving it a huge soaking, plus it soaks up rain run off as per the below.

View attachment 4185

and now a couple of weeks post the rain and some sun it's kicking on well...even the old tree log shot out some new growth from underneath. Lettuce has come on (just now) as too the zuc's. Leeks and Strawberry's (old runners) surviving too.
View attachment 4186

Anyhoo....what's Dougalkulter?? Well when I was looking at this mound the other day it reminded me of Dougal the Dog (from those old enough to remember) from the Magical Roundabout show of the early 70's.

Thanks for sharing this. I have lots of really old firewood that would be great to do this with. Going to try it.

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This vidio may help. I use Aussie mushroom supplies for my mushroom supplies

Thanks for both your posts on this. Much appreciated. :twothumbsup:

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mushrooms I always have a tint of fear factor. I worry about poisonous ones growing. Not really sure how comfortable I would be but to concur fear is to do the thing that fears you is what I know. Because it does look easy and fun and I love sauteed mushrooms. Thanks for sharing the video and your raised bed garden.

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We have what we call puff balls grow in our yard during the spring. They are large, round, white ball mushroom with dense tissue. They are wonderful sautéd. I remember the fear I had when I first harvested and ate one even after I read and knew they were safe. I kept waiting for the stomach ache. I am glad I ventured beyond my fear and enjoyed a really delicious mushroom.

Jake Monteleone

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

View attachment 4185

View attachment 4186

hey it looks great i do so much hope it gos well for u and remember, do not water the leaves because it will kill them possibly.

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
hey it looks great i do so much hope it gos well for u and remember, do not water the leaves because it will kill them possibly.

Cheers Jake and noted. Subject to the rain falling on them, I've tried to only water into areas that will soak up the water being the logs and mulch, so the plants grow into and receive their moisture from that contained within the mound. Must be a fair whack of water being soaked up by the main log as it has spent out new growth in last week or so.

Jake Monteleone

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Cheers Jake and noted. Subject to the rain falling on them, I've tried to only water into areas that will soak up the water being the logs and mulch, so the plants grow into and receive their moisture from that contained within the mound. Must be a fair whack of water being soaked up by the main log as it has spent out new growth in last week or so.
your welcome Gkw

Reactions: GKW
Top Bottom