Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Do you have be carefull what kind of bricks you use because of when they heat up they crack? I think the bricks i have been using would crack if they where cemented in and heated right up.
Apparently, they do need to be clay heat resistant bricks which are pretty common to buy. Also, some guys use a special brick just for the base called a Fire Brick ,appropriately named, :D which hold the heat better than other types http://www.firebrick.com.au/ Check out the oven on the left of their site header just quietly... me like :heart:

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
What does he use as the insulation on the base - it looks like sand - is that the perlite? And, I wonder if laying the heat bricks for the cooking surface on top of this "sand" could make potential for moving bricks and unevenness over time (as you were saying earlier about wanting an even surface for the big spatula to scoop out pizzas)?

I've seen examples of the heat pavers begin adhered to the concrete floating base and even just sitting on the concrete base there would be little movement I'd think. I'm not totally convinced the non-concrete base is the better option yet and I'm thinking a floating concrete base may still be worth the extra effort.

Not sure Mark. It looked pretty coarse. I share your concern for sand having the potential for the bricks to move.
I like the idea of using an adhesive on the floor bricks as long as it has really good heat tolerance.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not exactly what you had planned but thought you might find it interesting anyway....

http://thecobovenproject.blogspot.com.au/

3.bp.blogspot.com__YmqVZpXtFzk_S_wtwc_XMnI_AAAAAAAAADc_aOaSjSXKFWQ_s320_20.jpg

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Quick, somebody move that beer before it gets warm! :shock:

Dont they know that the lower shelf is for resting the beer.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not exactly what you had planned but thought you might find it interesting anyway....

http://thecobovenproject.blogspot.com.au/

3.bp.blogspot.com__YmqVZpXtFzk_S_wtwc_XMnI_AAAAAAAAADc_aOaSjSXKFWQ_s320_20.jpg
Very interesting read Stevo. There's so many different designs and ways to make pizza ovens I'm beginning to think there really isn't a "wrong" way to do it as long as the end result is achieved... :cheers: What I am certain about is why would you pay $2500 - $8000 AU to get some one else to build it when it can be done DIY for a fraction of the cost?

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
I hear ya. Many people these days have no skills or confidence to tackle something like this. But they can update their Facebook status in record time! o_O
My dad was very hands-on which rubbed off on me. I'm very grateful for that.

I love the challenge of figuring out how to do something. Not to mention if you do it yourself it will normally be done better. Job satisfaction is high on my list too.
And then there is always cost. Happy to save a buck wherever I can.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Roadside pizza oven van in Melbourne today. Mobile pizza, nice!
You can see the oven dome in through the back door.
image.jpg

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Who said its approved? Haha
If you keep moving you could duck under their noses for a while.

It smelt awesome I must say.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Roadside pizza oven van in Melbourne today. Mobile pizza, nice!
You can see the oven dome in through the back door.

Photo looks interesting, did you use the blue colour effect on your phone? or does Melbourne look like that?

Mine has the option for this, it will show blue as blue but everything else as grey.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Good pick up Stevo. Yes Melbourne is pretty gloomy but this was put through an app on my phone that uses sliders to take out any color you want. I took out all colours except blue.
It was the first time I used it actually. (Stop calling me actually!)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It didn't really click straight away. Originally i thought you just posted a promotional photo of it, but then you said you were there. The effect worked well for that subject. i'm over analyising it.
ohwell, Friday night rumbos :cheers:

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Do it Stevo, it's your responsibility to keep this art form alive. Actually I don't think you're complete till you've built one. I know I'm looking forward to the day I become a man. ;)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers for the encouragement fellas, as Mark says i think it could be some work, i usually like a whack stuff together quick and tend to avoid permanent things, so this would be major ! .. ohwell, added to the list, wont happen anytime soon. Steve will have his block of land and his oven built before us Mark :oops:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers for the encouragement fellas, as Mark says i think it could be some work, i usually like a whack stuff together quick and tend to avoid permanent things, so this would be major ! .. ohwell, added to the list, wont happen anytime soon. Steve will have his block of land and his oven built before us Mark :oops:
That's what I'm looking forward to seeing also @Steve posting his permaculture prowess as he builds his dream block!

We're visiting my sister and hubby next weekend on their new 3 acre block for their house warming - I'm almost as excited as they are at the prospect of witnessing them getting back into self-sufficiency.

Viva La self-sufficiency! :cheer:

Top Bottom