Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I had a flat tyre the other day on my Toro ride-on mower and it got a bit tricky because the bead was broken and it wouldn't inflate. The problem was the air from the compressor escaping between the gap in the tyre and the rim so I needed to apply even pressure all around the wheel and force the tyre out in order to get a sufficient seal enabling inflation.

This is how I did it:
  1. Compressor - This method will only really work with a compressor - I used the one in my 4x4.
  2. Rope - Get a strong rope and wrap it around the tyre and tie it off leaving a small gap.
  3. Hammer - Get a good strong hammer and slide the head under the rope.
  4. Twist - Using the hammer and a firm grip of the tyre twist the rope onto the tyre and it should evenly squeeze the rubber walls out onto the bead closing the gaps.
  5. Air - keeping the pressure on the tyre pump it up with air using the compressor. You may need to jig the tyre around a little or push down here and there or even give another twist on the rope but once the seal is made the tyre will quickly inflate and the bead will hold.
See the images below:

toro front tyre flat repair broken bead 1.jpg

toro front tyre flat repair broken bead 2.jpg

toro front tyre flat repair broken bead tubeless 3.jpg

toro front tyre flat repair broken bead tubeless 4.jpg

toro front tyre flat repair broken bead tubeless 5.jpg

#Instead of a rope you could use a belt or ratchet strap

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
An even better thing to do is cut out the valve housing from the tubeless tyre and replace with a tube!

After years of popping tyres and busting my backside trying to pump them back up (as above) I have found the best thing to do is use tubes in the front tyres and forget about fighting the tubeless ones.

I spoke to a local Toro rep the other day and he admitted popping the front tyres off the rim (breaking the bead) was extremely common on Toro Zero turn mowers and one of the most vocal complaints. He suggested the best fix is the good old tube...

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Yeah I like it. That's good info and the kind of thing someone will look up online.
I've seen something similar with a AD strap or ratchet strap. Same thing really.
A lot of mountain bikers have moved on to tubeless tyres and sing their praise but a tube is something I'm a lot more comfortable with and familiar with so I'll stay with what I know.

Top Bottom