how is everyone with this rain

littlervheads

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
just wondering how everyone is fairing with all this rain in brisbane . we have had to move my quails into the lockup as the are in a g/pig cage at the moment . hopefully our grass will tart growing again

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
My grass is out of control.
I think I've had about 100mm of rain in the last week or two.
The weeds are loving it too unfortunately.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yep, same same here a little further out west. A little less rain but it has been moist, cold and dreary. Quite a contrast to the mild winter we had. Haven’t been game to check on the veggie patch as I fear the bandicoots have probably decimated it.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yep it can stop now we have bamboo, no we didn’t plant it, along the back fence line. It grows in a fair distance from the fence. We have been working through cutting it down and keeping it under control.

It’s been lying in wait for the rain. We have stakes meters high coming up out of the ground every where. They need to be cut back ASAP otherwise it will take over again.

They are handy for garden stakes though

Oh and we have earth worms that must be finding the soil to damp for their likely that keep crawling up onto a back concrete patio area.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes this rain has been very good. A little too good in many respects but one must not whinge too much as it is an infrequent event these days!

So far the 2 rain events have yielded for me around 400ml which is the biggest total for a year.
My grass will wait another few days but then begin to seed & soon it will look like a jungle!
But too wet to cut just yet.

Such a strange season, summer heat 2wks ago then winter temps again.
I haven't put rugs in my horses for several years but late on the second arvo of the first rain event the poor things were shaking so bad I gave in & put their rugs on.

Tonight at feed time they were telling me they were cold enough again for a rug but I had already looked at the radar & knew the rain would be gone in 2hrs so they had to suffer! :D
It takes me around 1hr per rug to pressure clean after wearing in the rain & mud, so that takes the best part of a full arvo, then 3 days to dry.
So there was no way I was going to trot out rugs for them to make filthy for just a couple hours of light rain! Its almost 11pm now & they'll be the best part of dry already.

The garden has responded with volumes of growth. All that daily grey water waltz & dramas with poisonous dam water just to try to keep things alive, I guess has paid off despite it all being a PIA!
Every plant has bounced back with flowers, fruit & masses of leaves.
All my hippeastrums have produced huge loudly coloured flowers, the tomatoes got sweet & ripened in 4days as opposed to 4wks previously. Pawpaws & mulberries falling off when the birds land to steal fruit.

There are several 20m wide mushroom circles across the horse paddocks. These mushies are edible & oft times I do pick them for a yummy breakfast of mushies & garlic on toast, but this year with more rain on them once opened they would have been very soggy & not that nice fried up.

The container garden is a riot of floral colour & edibles.
All my different wind chimes have been going ballistic all through both lots of rain which is always nice to hear especially at night time.
Right now its all good!
But there is a truckload of backbreaking work waiting for me on the driveway side drains once I pluck up the courage to pick up the shovel.

Last edited:

Skippyherron

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh i've loved the rain! The cooler weather and the gorgeous sound of rain on the tin roof!

The garden is growing great and I've not had to water - yay! Win win all round over here.
The back paddock is very very sludgy but i'll just admire from a distance as i don't have to go down there for anything.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They recon it will be a La Nina season this year on east coast of Australia with lots of rain.
The yield at my place from this latest rain in last 24hrs has already been 100ml.
Dam is overflowing well this time which is good. It might rinse out some of that poisonous water that's been in it for a few years.
All my container garden is doing ok although some plants are showing wet stress but even if they were in the ground that would be the case right now with so much rain & humidity.
I didn't grow the type of plants that like wet humid conditions so even with great drainage from their containers, they are suffering now.
Horses hate it & I'm glad I don't have chooks right now as I hate the smell of wet feathers!
However all that doesn't mean I begrudge this rain. The rivers & creeks need a good clean out too & the aquifers need replenishing to help make up for all the water the mines & gas fields waste.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We go 9mm. It is green. Am watering veges and shade house. It is nice.

Top Bottom