Question How close to grow avocado trees.

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Kasalia, May 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Have had a grafted B type avocado growing in the front yard which although from Daleys has never fruited in 8 years, but lots of flowers, except this year got one lol. So I bought an A type from a grower in Murwillumbah. Do I need to plant it near the first or can I plant it out the back with a house between them?

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I am aware of fruit trees being cross pollinated from one property to another because bees can travel several hundred metres from the hives but I would think the closer both avocados are the better chance of pollination occurring.

I've heard of some growers planting an A and B type avocado in the same hole with both trees growing as one!

I suppose if you don't have the space to plant the second avocado out the front at least having it somewhere on your property will help but I would try to get it as close as possible.

Great question! I'd be interested in what others think as I'm certainly no expert on avos - I'm still trying to get mine to grow let alone flower :)

3. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I am considering digging up a pakenham pear which gives about 4 fruits a year, which is next to the avocado, and transplanting it to our son's acre which gets frost and should do better, but it is quite a big undertaking, although I keep it about 7 feet tall, it is a vigorous grower. Just trying to put it off.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well winter is the best time to move the pear so the timing is perfect :)