Question Horse manure

MickyC

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello everyone , I’ve just picked up a few bags of fresh horse manure and my question is should I be putting it straight onto my veggie beds and do I dig it in or best to leave it on top I have it covered with sugar cane mulch as the smell was getting a bit strong Cheers

kaltemrix

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Micky!

Do you know how composted the manure is? From what I understand, It needs to be well composted before adding to a garden bed.
When adding it to the bed though, it's probably best to dig it in, as you want the nutrients to be available throughout the bed.

Here is an article with some more information: https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/manure-matters/9435970

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I believe it's best to dig it in. Be careful when plants are already in the bed though! Manure can actually burn a plant before it composes a bit further into the soil.
I'd recommend you follow what @kaltemrix asked/said :D

MickyC

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Micky!

Do you know how composted the manure is? From what I understand, It needs to be well composted before adding to a garden bed.
When adding it to the bed though, it's probably best to dig it in, as you want the nutrients to be available throughout the bed.

Here is an article with some more information: https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/manure-matters/9435970
Thanks for your help by the looks of what came out of the bags it is very fresh , would you have any idea (ball park figure) as to how long it would be for the manure to break down I was thinking of digging it deeper than the roots of my veggie plants

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for your help by the looks of what came out of the bags it is very fresh , would you have any idea (ball park figure) as to how long it would be for the manure to break down I was thinking of digging it deeper than the roots of my veggie plants
I know a lot of people like to use it in a resting period when the area/bed isn't being used. I think Mark once mentioned leaving it there for 2 to 3 months. But I have little to no experience with it myself.

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
yes be carefull and dig it in so as not to touch plants or better yer compost it if possible fresh horse manure is very hot i pile mine from the horses at least 6 month. i have a reply somewhere else in thread from about a year ago about horse manure

Clara

Climate
Sub-Tropical
The other thing to note about animal manures is to know when this animal was last drenched. If that horse recently had a worm treatment you might nuke your earthworm population with it. Smaqll animal manures are generally safer because these animals aren't regularly drenched.

Top Bottom