Honeysuckle Tea

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by John R., Apr 11, 2020.

1. John R.

John R. Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi folks,

Here in Louisiana, we have a lot of wild flowers, berries, and weeds growing right now. One of the vines that grows along fence lines and roads is honeysuckle. If you haven't ever smelled or tasted this pale off white to yellow flower, you are missing out. One of the folks on my foraging Facebook page made a cold brew honeysuckle tea, so I decided to try it with a little twist. My version is the cold brew honeysuckle tea with a simple syrup made from fresh mint and dewberry leaves.

Recipe:
    1. 1-2 cups fresh honeysuckle blooms (rinsed)
    2. 1 quart cold water
    3. 1 cup boiling water
    4. 1 small handful of fresh mint and dewberry leaves
    5. Sugar to taste for simple syrup

Directions:
    1. Rinse honeysuckle blooms in cold water and allow to drain, do not squeeze them
    2. Wrap blooms in cheese cloth and place blooms in quart of cold water and set aside for 24 hours
    3. Bring cup of water to a rapid boil; turn heat off and add sugar to taste and mint and dewberry leaves. Let leaves steep for five minutes or so.
    4. Place simple syrup in container and refrigerate
    5. Add syrup to cold brew honeysuckle tea and refrigerate for a couple hours
    6. Drink in small batches until you see how your body reacts to the tea. Never consume something like this in quantity until you know how your body processes it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Honeysuckle tea! I learn something new every day :twothumbsup:

I guess back in the day people did forage for foods that could flavour a drink or help soothe an ailment - we tend to forget that resource these days...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Interesting. I have never thought of that..thank you for sharing your recipe.

• Like Like x 1