Hi from Yarra Valley, Victoria.

skordey

Mar 14, 2021
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hi all,

I've been watching the gardening vids on youtube for a while, just to try to get some sort of idea how to grow various produce. I've never gardened before, so I'll be happy if just one single thing grows for me. We're in Autumn here in the Yarra Valley in Victoria. I've just planted a variety of seeds that said Autumn/Winter, so fingers crossed something happens.

I've bought the raised garden beds from Bunnings that Mark recommended and I've just had a huge delivery of organic fill for them delivered yesterday. Hence, I've been busy hauling it around the 1 acre property filling up the various vege bins. I am just about ready to put in my homemade soil mix with all the goodies in it which I keep in a huge closed container to keep moist.

I tend to eat a lot of greens, so I'm hoping to grow produce of this kind and become self sufficient in something and save me buying them in the supermarket as I don't know their origin.

I look forward to reading through posts and learning a lot from people in this community, as right now I'm a definite beginner.

Cheers!
Skordey

skordey

Mar 14, 2021
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Wecome Scordey,

Greens are a great thing to be self sufficient in. Perfect time of year for them too.

What have you planted so far?
Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I've only got some seedlings happening so far which consist of sugar leaf cabbage, radishes, chives, parsley, normal cabbage (I think it is?) and broccoli.

I've got that app called Gardenate so I was sort of looking at what is planted this time of year etc. I'm probably a bit early or late with some of these things, so I guess some might work and some might fail. But it is a learning experience, all good and I'm finding it very relaxing so far.

Cheers