Hi from western nsw

Theburrow

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi everyone, thanks for adding me Mark.
Been a follower on YouTube for a couple of years now and saw you had this forum on your septic video.

Hubby and I are both bush kids but then lived in Canberra for work (don't hold that against us, think tradie not pollie😂).
After a work accident changed our lives forever we decided to realise our dream and shift most of our very large family out to western nsw and are building a barn house (shed) on 1 and 1/4 acres.

We got caught in a 2 state lockdown during covid while moving stuff so ended up out here 6 months ahead of schedule and decided to just run with it.

A small veggie garden was establish, more chooks bought after I sold my breeding birds before moving.
Bought our Muscovy ducks and Guinea pigs out and of course the dogs.
And then we purchased our goats and meat rabbits.

We had to use a post hole digger to the ground for our citrus tress as the ground is heavy clay and we live across from a creek on a flood plain.
We experienced our first flood last week.

With dreams of living like my grandparents did as well as being self reliant (we are an hour is so from a major shopping hub) I'm determined to throw myself into this lifestyle whole heartedly.

The kids and I dug up a bigger patch for a much bigger garden this season and are working to improve the soil.

The kids and grandkids are loving life here and the freedom it brings/

Looking forward to learning more and helping where I can, I'm a chicken/rabbit breeder and have knowledge in animal husbandry.
Very interested in learning year round food and preserving as well as foraging and bush food.

Cheers C

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome to the forum @Theburrow !

Oh no! Sounds like you've had quite a lot of struggles to get where you are now. Hopefully all is good now :)
I hope the flood didn't do damage and that you and the family stayed safe.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have :D
What are you growing right now - if anything?

Theburrow

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mandy, thank you. Currently we have small sections of things growing in various raised beds and garden plot as well as pots.

Carrots, radishes, peas, beans, snow peas, tomatoes ready to go in, zucchinis, cucumbers, various herbs, kale, silverbeat, beetroot, cabbage to name a few plus a bathtub full of strawberry plants which are producing like mad.

We also keep chooks and ducks eggs and meat, quail for the same and meat rabbits.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That sounds great @Theburrow ! I'm currently a container gardener as well (with some cucumbers and tomatoes in the ground, for the first time). Thankfully many things grow amazing in containers :D

That's quite a grand variety - that's awesome! I've got strawberries in bloom now as well, so every other day or so I can garden and pick a strawberry or two to snack on. I love it. It's interesting to see you grow mostly the same as I do. What do you fertilise your strawberries with? One of my plants shows signs of struggle. Maybe it's a bad plant, or maybe I'm not using the right fertiliser. It's all trial and error for me as I've never grown them before.

I always loved quail eggs. Boiled they also go well covered by a little bit of meat and fried up. Delicious.

Theburrow

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I use rabbit and Guinea pig manure soaked in rain water, it's like gold.
Same as duck pond water 😊

Attachments

• EA05CC58-DF15-4284-9D9A-59E0C298DF65.jpeg
    EA05CC58-DF15-4284-9D9A-59E0C298DF65.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 37428DB6-245E-44E3-884C-B09AE936D5D4.jpeg
    37428DB6-245E-44E3-884C-B09AE936D5D4.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom