hi from Scott

Scott Mac

Premium Member
we live down the South Coast of NSW. It all started with stand alone solar for our house due to a grid connection going to cost $100,000. I designed a $30,000 system to run a house with electric fridge and chest freezer, the largest consuming device I wanted to run. It works well, However the specs of the fridge and chest freezer consumption were false.

Anyhow, i'm an electrician who has worked on boats with all types of power sources, systems and requirements for operating efficiently. Now just in the domestic/commercial field. I choose not to install solar for a business for a reason i'll share latter.

We live on 23 acres of which 5 acres are cleared and are attempting to breed turkeys and chooks for the table as well as eggs for eating. I was a butcher 25 years ago, so I am fine with processing the meat, just learning how to breed the birds. I also help run sheep on a mates farm and we've a fair bit of lamb in the freezer that just melts in your mouth. As a young butcher, I always wanted to be able to take an animal from the hoof to the plate, instead of the animal being delivered to the butcher shop ready for breaking down into it's cuts for sale.

I have a few too many things I like to do, and another is building my own mud brick home or milling my own trees for turkey enclosure and sheds. Play in a cover band as a guitarist. Surf, ride dirt bikes etc

I guess I just landed in the middle of all this when we decided to escape Sydney for a rural life style. Two children under 5 now and are happy as pigs in mud. It feels great to have no water, electricity bills and healthy home grown meat. It's great to find an Ozi site that's so helpful and relevant to another Ozi's situation.

Regards
Scott

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You certainly have some excellent skills to help with a self-sufficiency lifestyle Scott. It might sound cliche but I love these kind of "moved away from the big smoke" stories. I know what it's like to have "a few too many things to do" - I just said those exact words to my wife this afternoon (as she nods her head) :)

I should also say welcome and I hope you enjoy being part of SSC! Sharing information, solving problems, enjoying others triumphs/projects, and discussing common ground, etc is what this site is all about. Personally, I enjoying talking about self-sufficiency as much as doing it.

To have no reliance on supplied utilities must be a top feeling alright - well done.

Scott Mac

Premium Member
Hey Mark,
You've already helped me in being more confident now with my incubation, which i'm extremely greatful.
I'm a bit of a sponge, I love to learn from others, and if I can help someone too, then that's cool.

Lowden Ridge

Premium Member
Hi Scott - I am new here too but have certainly enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences....I have been breeding chooks, geese and ducks for years and it can become addictive.... Eating your own food from paddock to plate tastes so much better than shop bought food and has the added benefits of know exactly how the food has been reared and prepared. I am looking forward to moving onto the bigger animals now that we also have beef steers and I have found a local abattoir to do the deed but guessing I am going to have to find a butcher to turn them into something edible. Love the idea of the mud brick house love to see photos as you go along.

Top Bottom