Hi from Mackay!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Benita, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Benita

Benita Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Tropical
    Or G’day from Mackay! Whichever floats your boat!
    Hi Mark and all!

We’re up in North/Central QLD, Australia.

We’ve got a really interesting and challenging microclimate, we get either huge monsoonal rains/cyclones or heavy heat and humidity from Nov-May, but we can start getting cold snaps from April through Sept, with frosts. There’s a mountain range half an hour from us that got snow in the 70’s!

I love the videos on YouTube and they’ve been a huge inspiration for me in planning out our property. I’m constantly referring back to them whenever I plan out crops and trees.
    The one on avocados has saved me from killing more trees in our clay soil. I’m going to build a proper raised bed for them before I try again.

Didn’t know this forum existed until the competition, hoping to find out lots more info. Can’t wait for more content!

Cheers

2. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'Day Mark and welcome.

Geez, snow (be it back in the 70's) up your way...wow.

I watch and hear of Mark's issues managing a veg patch in SE QLD, so imagine it's even more of a balancing act in the Mackay tropics.

Got to get my wife to watch the avo vids. She wants to grow a tree or 20 but I think needs some direction on best method to grow from seed and plant out later....all good fun.

Enjoy the forum mate.

Cheers

Greg W

3. AZ Orchard

AZ Orchard Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Welcome:) I also learned a good deal from Mark's video on Avocado planting.
    The weather is wacky all over - Yikes. Good Luck with all that you grow.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day Benita and thanks for joining SSC we have a lot of people becoming members of our forum at the moment so please forgive the time delay in promoting you to Premium but I have to do this manually in order to keep spam under control. Remember to interact via posting or creating threads to get and retain your Gold status and this enables other privileges such as the ability to enter competitions. I hope to interact more myself with you and others in the future. Cheers :)