Hi from Brooloo in the Mary Valley.

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello on this very windy afternoon in SEQLD. Focused on growing spray-free and improving the soil and managing the weeds on my 5 acre patch. Looking forward to discussions with like minded gardeners.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3531.JPG
    IMG_3531.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3381.JPG
    IMG_3381.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That looks absolutely amazing!
And I have to ask, do you make your elderberry wine yourself?

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That looks absolutely amazing!
And I have to ask, do you make your elderberry wine yourself?
Yes :). First time though. It's had the first racking off, will need another one at least. It's going to be ages before it's drinkable apparently. I might stick to Elderflower sparkling wine, it's a lot quicker. And nice to drink.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes :). First time though. It's had the first racking off, will need another one at least. It's going to be ages before it's drinkable apparently. I might stick to Elderflower sparkling wine, it's a lot quicker. And nice to drink.
Interesting! I rarely hear/see of anyone making their own wines. What inspired you? :D

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Interesting! I rarely hear/see of anyone making their own wines. What inspired you? :D
It's not something you can just go and buy, at least not that I've seen. Apparently It's quite nice to drink. I also made some elderberry/cranberry gummies last year. Might have to try that again, I didn't use enough gelatine or something and they had to be stored in the fridge. I'd like to make a more shelf-stable product if possible.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's not something you can just go and buy, at least not that I've seen. Apparently It's quite nice to drink. I also made some elderberry/cranberry gummies last year. Might have to try that again, I didn't use enough gelatine or something and they had to be stored in the fridge. I'd like to make a more shelf-stable product if possible.
Wow! Did you come up with your own recipies or did family/friends/internet inspire you? I know elderberry water can be very refreshing!
Maybe if you freeze-dried your gummies they'd become toughed but also more durable? Not sure exactly how that works, but I believe I've heard someone say that ages ago.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/elderberry-syrup-gummies/ Looks similar to what I used, but I think I skimped on the gelatine. I wonder if there's a self sufficient way to freeze dry? I priced one up about a month ago and just about fell over from shock.
Uhh, I believe there exist recipies for sundrying candies, depending on area and season. I've also seen people oven-dry it, by putting it on about the lowest setting and leaving it for hours. I sadly don't know enough to give you details though.

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No worries Mandy :)...I will have a bit of a look around when I get a chance. I might even try the dehydrator. That would make a HARD chew :D

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No worries Mandy :)...I will have a bit of a look around when I get a chance. I might even try the dehydrator. That would make a HARD chew :D
It might also depend on how thick you make them I'm betting. Or if you want to re-hydrate them before eating.

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Actually, I'm liking this idea more and more. Maybe something like a lozenge wouldn't be a bad thing.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Actually, I'm liking this idea more and more. Maybe something like a lozenge wouldn't be a bad thing.
Yesss! Exactly! And with trial and error you can probably get a consistency you like too!

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just as well there about 200 flower heads on those bushes at the moment. Should give me a fair bit of fruit to play with. 😊

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ah sweet! Yeah exactly!
Where I am, dried fruit is also something commonly sold. Really tasty too!

Top Bottom