Hi everyone from Coxie1102

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Coxie1102, May 30, 2019.

1. Coxie1102

Coxie1102 Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Hi everyone, my real name is Aaron, Quick bio: To start with I'm an aerospace engineering student at the University of Sheffield, which probably correlates well with the fact that I am also a bit of a math, science and IT nerd.

I started watching the self sufficient me YouTube channel luckily just before spring hit. I'm not sure how I ran into it but it was just one of those randomly queued videos and Mark reminded me of a bit of a Steve Erwin, except for gardening, which was great! The first video I saw was something like "Top 5 tips to grow a boat load of basil" which now that I think back to it, I was probably looking for a simple recipe/tutorial of how to make a killer pesto at the time so it makes sense that YouTube recommended this particular video. But yea, coming back from that mini tangent, watching Mark's videos made me want to get growing some stuff.

After watching a couple more videos, I decided it was probably the most convenient option to start growing a windowsill herb garden (I still live with my parents because its cheaper than renting a university dorm, and also the garden at my parents is tiny). So I quickly did an amazon search for windowsill herb gardens and none of them really caught my eye. So with my previous [limited] experience from the University's student workshop, I thought I'd try to make my own windowsill herb garden box to my specifications of exactly what I wanted to put in there.

I am happy to say that this is the result about 2-3 weeks after planting the seeds:
    herb garden.jpg
    The only problem I'm having is with the Rosemary. It seems to be a bit of a slow starter.

So yea thanks for the inspiration Mark. I just thought I'd share my little herb garden :D

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome to SSC and congrats on your windowsill herb garden! It looks great :)

Rosemary grows easier from cuttings - just find a plant and grab a nice young cutting about 6 inches big then shed the bottom half of leaves and stick in the container keep it moist and it should take root. You can also stick herb cuttings in a glass of water to take root or dip the end first in a plant hormone powder before planting out.

Regardless, you've done a great job and this is the type of thing I often talk about in my vids and elsewhere that being self-sufficient in something doesn't have to mean growing heaps on acreage it can be a herb garden on a windowsill just like you've done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Coxie1102

Coxie1102 Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Thanks Mark! I appreciate the nice words :)

I'll keep my eye out for a rosemary plant

• Like Like x 1