Help with first year doing garlic

Mitchb777

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello! I have early Italian purple garlic I planted in October of 23 and the leaves have been turned brown and continuing to now (12th of April).

This is my first year with garlic and the stalks are huge, not the size I’ve seen in other videos and pictures. What is going on? Most others are skinny and have a big bulb but mine are huge and the same size of the sorta bulb? Lol

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3597.jpeg
    IMG_3597.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3600.jpeg
    IMG_3600.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 14

KIGardening

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the forum Mitch. Is it possible the cut one of your garlics in half? This way we can see what is going on inside the bulb.

Not all type of garlic species are suitable for your climate or time of the year planted. I found this out myself a few times.

Mitchb777

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the forum Mitch. Is it possible the cut one of your garlics in half? This way we can see what is going on inside the bulb.

Not all type of garlic species are suitable for your climate or time of the year planted. I found this out myself a few times.
I will cut one and reply, I forgot to mention I am coastal Texas

Mitchb777

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

Attachments

• IMG_3638.jpeg
    IMG_3638.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 9

KIGardening

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have never seen this before. I would have expected to see some bulb shapes at least.

Did you grew the garlic from seeds or from cloves? If you grew them from seeds then they will not be true to type.

Mitchb777

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
They are from cloves from bakers creek. Early Italian Purple. They are so strange and not like anything I’ve seen.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's like EVERY bulb it made grew a stalk instead. How odd. I'm keen on seeing what'd happen if you'd let it grow. But at the same time I figure you could at least use them as garlic scapes or for a garlicky pesto.

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
ok first off what have your temperatures been ? most garlics and i think that type holds true the need some cool weather to trigger the corms ( cloves to form)some type days in the 50's and night down into the 30's. this type the italian purple likes cooler area to grow with lows of 45 with an upper limit around 85 to 90. i plant, garlic and onion along with basil in amoung my tomatoes the keep them cooler in summer when growing out doors
other issue but less common that can cause issues is onion thripes and issue in soil with nemitodes, bright sun which looks of area isnt an issue moderate watering and care like an onion in fertilzers. that type here they then as the grow and sell as a garlic bulb and used like an onion you are at the stage where the cooler temperatures should have start to show some cloves forming

Mitchb777

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I started them last October we did have days that were 40 and below this past winter. Recently we’ve been in the 70s and just recently breaking the 80’ for April

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I started them last October we did have days that were 40 and below this past winter. Recently we’ve been in the 70s and just recently breaking the 80’ for April
sounds maybe growing cycle out of sequence , it needed cool start then into the 70's to 80's and then the cool finish as season starts to wind down

as example i will be planting mine in next week or two here in norteast usa the soil is warmed enough it in high 50 low 60s so growing will be 3 to 5 months so as we get into late october i will harvest a variety of sizes. and i am actually a little late to get them in ground here but its be too wet.

Top Bottom