Hello

stevenharput

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello - I am Steve, with my wife Carol we live between Coffs and Grafton on the NSW coast. Our home looks out over national park ( coastal heathland ), 5 min walk thru bush onto beach. The soil is reasonably acidic and abt 400mm deep, overlaying a clay pan base. Intend to create raised beds - looking forward to the journey! Wood or metal -- best for long term? Contented lifestyle is great! Steve, Carol

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Steve.

I've used metal beds in the past, but quite like the look of the wooden ones I have now. Should be able to get 7-10 years out of 50mm sleepers if you paint/stain the outside & plastic line the inside. Steel might last a bit longer.

There are also fairly good quality wood look concrete sleepers now, which will last for a very long time.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Steve, forgive my ignorance, but being that close to the beach, do you have problems with salt eroding metal? Or for that matter anything else?? Sounds like a lovely place to be, so close but far enough away from the sea. Hope to hear more about how you get on with your plans

Top Bottom