Hello from Urs in Brisbane Valley

Urs

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi All. I have been following SSM on facebook for some time and couldn't find the search function so jump onto the website and discovered this forum!
In short, I'm a beef cattle farmer who works full time off-farm as Health Practitioner and I suck at keeping plants alive! If they don't die from natural causes (lack of self-survival skills), they are usually murdered by the sheep, cows or horses, dogs or cats. So whilst I have the land, the poo and old hay for mulch (I even have a small greenhouse!), safe places are limited. I've made loads of mistakes and need to make the most of my limited time to become more self-sufficient. I hope to learn loads from this group and hopefully I can contribute with my skill set :)

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome to the forum @Urs !
Haha, I bet the animals love snacking on your plants if they get the opportunity.

When I first started my plants were struggling too - turns out my soil was no good! I invested in some good soil for my potted plants and suddenly they thrive! Now I've got plants that wouldn't die even if I tried (well, actually, I finally succeeded in killing my old cherry tomato plant after over a year of me trying to kill it. A whippersnipper completely mincing it up was what it took).
Also, knowing what plants thrive in what weather is a huge influence. For example, I wouldn't even try growing lettuce now as it'd immediately bolt and rather quickly die on me, as it's simply too hot for it to thrive right now.
Something I personally can grow year-round are tomatoes, especially cherry tomatoes. They seem hardier than other species.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have! :)

SamfromWA

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Hi All. I have been following SSM on facebook for some time and couldn't find the search function so jump onto the website and discovered this forum!
In short, I'm a beef cattle farmer who works full time off-farm as Health Practitioner and I suck at keeping plants alive! If they don't die from natural causes (lack of self-survival skills), they are usually murdered by the sheep, cows or horses, dogs or cats. So whilst I have the land, the poo and old hay for mulch (I even have a small greenhouse!), safe places are limited. I've made loads of mistakes and need to make the most of my limited time to become more self-sufficient. I hope to learn loads from this group and hopefully I can contribute with my skill set :)
Animals can certainly cause headaches when they break into areas that they shouldn't be in. I was surprised sheep and cows like the leaves from date and jelly palms so much here. Welcome and good luck with your gardening.

Top Bottom