Hello From The North East of England

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi I'm Tobias, based in the UK last year was my first year growing some of my own veg! It was only a humble patch but still very satisfying and this year hope to expand and grow even more.

Apart from the outdoors my other love is coding so when I'm not outside I'm slapping away at my keyboard playing with techie stuff.

Looking forward to sharing some of my experiences and picking up insights from everyone else's here.

IMG_20200702_114609083.jpg
IMG_20200702_125104945.jpg

cwinds

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to another gardening computer person! (I do databases, myself, with some coding.)

Reactions: Geo

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi @cwinds glad to meet you. Gathered you had a computing background after seeing your succession worksheet thread on the forums :)

cwinds

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Heh. Yes. Typical programmer, right? Why do it for myself when I can make the computer figure it out for me? ;)

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nice greens, love it. Right now, it's dry in Adelaide, South Australia. But, my fruit trees are loving this weather. the only green areas are under the fruit trees and plant nursery under my jacaranda tree. I can't wait for the cool weather. Thank goodness for aircon indoors, I can stay out of the sun :)

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks @Mary Playford . I envy the nice weather you get, these pics were from last mid summer - it's winter here now and it doesn't look quite as nice as nothings growing there. Springs around the corner though and I'm excited to get back out there to grow again though :D

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks @Mark happy to be here. And yea I'll engage a bit with the forums before I start posting links to my projects as I would feel a bit spammy otherwise (I messaged Mark about a little project I'm working on and he pointed me to the forums as a good community that I may be able to get helpful info from).

KW1989

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Some healthy looking plants you had there! All on your first year too. I'd say that was pretty successful. The carrots look fantastic (those are carrots right? lol)

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Ha yea carrots in the front and some spinach in the back. I ended up sowing them a bit too close together so quite a few ended up more like baby carrots but lesson learned for this year.

KW1989

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ha yea carrots in the front and some spinach in the back. I ended up sowing them a bit too close together so quite a few ended up more like baby carrots but lesson learned for this year.
Ahh, I think I've already made that mistake lol. I planted some carrots for the first time almost two weeks ago and they're all sprouting now. Oh well. Baby carrots are better than no carrots right?

How were the baby carrots though? I've heard people say they taste great

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yea they were indeed good no complaints from me. Good thing they were forgiving in that sense so not wasted in the end.

Weale

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi, I am also from England but in the South, as well as a computing person :) Not bad for first year! My first year was crazy... I didn't plan properly and made a lot of mistakes. Although i still harvested good amount of tomatoes, I am definitely learning from mistakes...

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Weale. This is a helpful forum and you will be warmly welcome. You are in good company - we are all learning; often by mistakes: "every day is a school day".

All the best,

Dan

tobias-g

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey @Weale, making mistakes is what makes it fun. After all where's the sense of achievement if we were perfect from day one :p

Weale

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@DTK I got so much pests around since my neighbour old lady does not take care of her garden and her garden is turning into a shelter for those annoying creatures. They came into my garden and ate all my peppers and some of the tomatoes in previous years lol. A rat even walked right into my garden in the middle of the day while I was doing yoga on the patio last summer. Scared the hell out of me... I bought a ultrasonic-motion-sensor animal deterrent, and guess what, I can hear it... Don't know if they really deterred any pest but it surely deterred me... I hearing is too good?

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Weale, I have been gardening since I was a small boy; sometimes not very much, other times binging on it. I love the garden and love to produce the produce. BUT, my current garden has been harder work than any other due to pests, soil condition and other environmentally factors. I have not tried the ultra-sonic-motion sensor but if you can hear it, then I doubt I would want to use one. I currently do my veggie gardening in a big (6M x 10M) enclosed cage. I want to move out of the cage as well but need to content with heaps of pests. Learning every day because every day is a school day.

Top Bottom