Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by J Les, Feb 8, 2020.

1. J Les

J Les Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I started watching SSM videos just this past holiday season. I am really enjoying the videos and learning alot. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I am hoping to become more self sufficient and grow my own food. Also, I just got 8 chicks!

2. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'Day and welcome J Les.

What's the climate like in your neck of the woods this time of year? What's some of the fruit and veg one can grow and harvest during a Texas winter?

Best wishes

Greg W

3. J Les

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Well, it snowed 2 days ago and today it was 68degrees F. It is normally pretty dry. I just moved here from Kentucky where anything will grow. In Kentucky sunflowers and corn grow under the bird feeder. Here I have seen corn growing as well as cotton. I have watched SSM and recently started growing perpetual spinach, Okinawa spinach, rat tail radish and peas. Pretty much everything he said to grow in high heat. I also have nasturtiums, calendula growing. I recently planted bocking 14 comfrey to later use at fetilizer/mulch. I'm hoping for the best and applying the knowledge gained from SSM to improve my chance at a successful garden.
    In the summers here it is not uncommon to have 30+ days of >110degrees and no rain. So I am making wicking planters as well as direct sow.
    I am hoping all goes well. Thank you for your post.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AZ Orchard

AZ Orchard Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Good Luck with the chicks and Welcome:)

5. J Les

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Thank you. I am very excited about this new adventure. I'm not gonna lie though... I do have my reservations with the snakes and rats. I am trying to find the most effective way to feed chickens without wasting feed or for other critters to feed on what is spread out by the chickens. J

• Like Like x 1
  6. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Many parts of Australia, particularly east coast (south and west of Sydney and up into Queensland) were getting 45c+ (113f) just the other week and now with the rain it's 19/20c (66f) in Sydney but major temp swings in Sydney in summer aren't all that unusual (ie sinking hot 40c+ one / two day, then the change comes in and temps drop to the low 20's for bit). Just gotta roll with it and deal with it as it comes.

7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day J and thanks for joining SSC we have a lot of people becoming members of our forum at the moment so please forgive the time delay in promoting you to Premium but I have to do this manually in order to keep spam under control. Remember to interact via posting or creating threads to get and retain your Gold status and this enables other privileges such as the ability to enter competitions. I hope to interact more myself with you and others in the future. Cheers :)

8. J Les

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Thank you for the post. I enjoy your videos and have learned alot. I recently purchased 8 chicks and am learning about raising chickens hands on. I have read on chicken care but I am surprised at how fast they grow. I am starting to ferment the chick feed because I read that fermented feed increases the bioavailability of nutrients. I would also like to have a variety of herbs and veggies for my family and the chickens. Have a nice evening. Ttyl