Hello from Texas

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi. I live on the Gulf Coast in Texas and I found your forum through your quail videos in Youtube.

I consider myself an urban homesteader or a peaceful prepper. I'm just getting started, really. I live in an apartment and I have a very small garden.

Thank you for the lovely videos!

Muraki

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Never tried having a garden while in my past apartment. Can't wait to see some pictures of what you have setup. Welcome to the forum, I am new as well.

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I don't have any pictures on this device. I'll have to get out there tomorrow and get some. It's just a little strip about a meter wide by four or five meters long running along the fence behind our building. My apartment is a one-room efficiency that's just big enough for me, my little terrier and a cat. The addition of a few quail in a parrot cage will stretch things to the max.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'day peaceful preppie. I'm sure you'll fit right in here and find a lot more resources that are useful to you. You'd be surprised what you could achieve with such a small setup. Good to have you here.

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you. I already have found a lot.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi. I live on the Gulf Coast in Texas and I found your forum through your quail videos in Youtube.

I consider myself an urban homesteader or a peaceful prepper. I'm just getting started, really. I live in an apartment and I have a very small garden.

Thanks for joining us!

We need more international members here on SSC. I'm a big believer in broadening knowledge through going beyond one's circles and to discuss aspects of self-sufficiency with people all over the world. Yes, it's also great to share information with those near me, for example, what's growing in the garden or for sale at the local markets etc, but it's amazing what tips and tricks you can pick up from others outside of these local environments.

I'm interested in how you manage integrating quail into your apartment - it definitely can and has been done so all the best and be sure to tell! :)

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haven't done it yet. Urban homesteading had to be done very stealthily because of so many rules against everything. Even if you are careful to be compliant with sll city rules, there are people who complain anyway and so you are asked to stop or leave just so the landlord can get some peace.

So I am working out a strategy. Right now I have a nice bird cage, parrot size, and I'm working on improving the design. I have an idea of combining it with plants so that there will be three or four quail scratching around in some grass. I will have to find shade-loving grass and plant it in such a way that I can switch it out.

Tbe cage is tall so I might get a couple of finches who will flit around in the upper parts and then no one will start spreading rumors because anyone who sees it will assume it's only finches. (I was thinking parakeets but they have a reputation for destroying other birds' eggs)

So right now I have tbe cage and next month I'm buying the planter. And getting the temp gauge for an incubator I will make out of a styrofoam cooler. So by June I should be ready to get some birds and some quail-eggs.

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
0425171707.jpg

This is a start. I have it mounted on a square planter and I will put that into a longer planter that will be as wide as the whole window.

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well, it's becoming a work of art. I have been looking at wire-wrapped gems in a jewelry craft forum and getting inspired. This cage is a rickety old thing and so I will be taking some wire to reinforce it wiith decorative spirals.

The first level of social engineering has begun. My landlord's pest control guy noticed it and we talked a little about pet birds. I will let it be seen with finches a few times and then by the time I introduce the quail he won't even notice them as I move the cage out of the apartment while he sprays. I've got my next-door neighbor on board, too, so I won't have to worry about complaints.

LOL if this is successful I might have a small business selling "secret garden" quail set-ups to urban homesteaders!

Muraki

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looking like a plan so far. I'm in the same boat, but I am doing something outside as an enclosed "Garden bed". Most of my neighbors are on board, but there are a few HOA picklers out there whom already questioned it. But once I have the blueberry bushes going and such. I can just say the enclosure is to keep birds out. :whistles: Fingers crossed with your adventures on making everything work out!

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I like your plan. I actually have an old birdcage over some strawberries that had been there since last summer and so people are used to it. I might just expand it and then use that space for extra quail.

Jacob

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's nice to meet you! I'm originally from the Gulf Coast region as well and will be moving into my first appartment soon! I hope to be able to fit lots of yummy fruit and veg plants in and want to do a small partridge setup similar to what you are doing with the quails.

Best of luck and well wishes :D

Jenna

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

I’m also from the gulf coast of TX! I live in central now in a small apartment so it would be cool to see the setup you have! cheers

Top Bottom