Hello from Oak Run, Ca.

nancieshill

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I've been watching his YouTube videos for some time now but just decided it was time to join!
I'm not new to gardening but not a pro by any means. I have a family of six and used to grow to help feed a large group. Now the kids are all grown and gone so I have time to grow more of what I want and make it beautiful.
My mother-in-law has always canned but I'm new to this process and would love to know where to buy a crock to do pickles?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I also would love to hear what the best way to grow green beans? I usually do the bush bean but watching the videos the pole bean looks like it produces way more. Any suggestions??

RNelson Cust

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've found that the biggest considerations are ice, salt, cucumbers, tannin and dill. You can use a wide variety of jars and produce great pickles.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the forum. Pickling is easy; if I can do it, it must be, lol.
With the beans, do you grow corn? You can grow the beans up the corn, saving on stakes or poles.

nancieshill

Premium Member
Climate
Wow, I've never thought of doing that. Thanks

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I went that way this time...beans up corn. So I planted one bean & one corn seed in each tall seedling punnet cell.
Just on dusk one very busy day I planted the vigorous seedlings in a raised bath tub bed that already contained a self seeded pawpaw (that turned out to be female so it got to live another day in the raised bed) & added some rich compost from the adjacent bath tub worm bed.
A few days later when I checked on my nocturnal gardening efforts, I discovered the compost/worm bed was full of slaters which I'd inadvertently transferred 1000's of to the recently planted corn & bean bed, whereupon they ate the beans off at ground level along with many of the corns too & a few roma tomatoes I added in for good measure.
Rather disappointing because I have had trouble with growing beans the last 2yrs & these were very healthy for a change.
The few corns that remain have survived the slater attack so I should set more bean seeds but wait to plant them out until they are well grown.
If only I had time........................
Now how will I get rid of millions of slaters from the worm/compost bed?:readit:...............

nancieshill

Premium Member
Climate
For some reason beans are my hardest to grow. Everytime I have planted I haven't gotten much out of and I want to make camned beans this year so I will do everything possible to make them produce!!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have some purple runner beans growing up corn right now... they self-sowed and now that the corn is dying back I just harvest the cobs and let the beans take over up the natural structure.

Thanks for joining SSC @nancieshill :)

Top Bottom