Hello from Morayfield, Queensland.

Janelle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello Mark and friends,

My name is Janelle. Both my husband Gary and I have been following Mark on Youtube for quite a while and have found his clips both informative and entertaining. Also refreshing to find local content.

We only came across this because we were searching for somewhere to get trailer loads of cow manure and found an old forum post. ( So if anyone has an update or has any local tips it would be much appreciated.)

We are retiring next year and trying to get our selves into the self sufficient sphere. We have 3/4 of an acre with garden beds, various fruit trees etc , and some nice bush behind us. We had chooks and will probably look at that again when we have more time. We also have two border collies - who love carrots and also eating the capsicums from the garden before we have a chance to pick them!

But, we don't know how long we can stay here as the area is just getting busier and busier. :( Who know though what the future will bring.

Looking forward to being part of the group. :)

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Janelle,
Sounds like you are about to come into an abundance of time a.k.a. retiring :) You'll find lots of inspiration and knowledge here on the forum as well as on the You Tube chanel. Hope to hear more of your journey. I guess, by working on your place now and getting it productive, it would benefit you if you did decide to move further away from the busy, busy but also be of great benefit to you in case you did decide to stay put. Either way, developing gardens and learning all you can about living simply and eating what you grow is THE way to go

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We only came across this because we were searching for somewhere to get trailer loads of cow manure
Welcome Janelle!

Have a search for some local dairies and just give them a cold call (easier said than done I do understand) I have sourced cow manure over at Pumicestone but it was an invitation so I really can't disclose it otherwise they might not be happy with me doing so.

Some landscape supplies places sell it in bulk but obviously they make a profit out of on-selling it. Still, it would be worth buying especially if good quality pure manure - as awful as that sounds :)

Janelle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Janelle!

Have a search for some local dairies and just give them a cold call (easier said than done I do understand) I have sourced cow manure over at Pumicestone but it was an invitation so I really can't disclose it otherwise they might not be happy with me doing so.

Some landscape supplies places sell it in bulk but obviously they make a profit out of on-selling it. Still, it would be worth buying especially if good quality pure manure - as awful as that sounds :)

Thanks Mark,

My husband found some at a local landscaping supplies and happy to buy if it is good. Also it is the easy option. But of course if we could just take a trailer to a dairy, so much better!

My parents didn't take us out to parks or playgrounds when we were kids, we would have to walk paddocks picking up the cow pads and putting them in hessian bags. Oh the good old days lol.

No gloves then either ..... Mum would sit there and break up the cow pad with her bare hands. She loved getting her hands in the soil too. She said you absorb goodness from the soil.

Thanks for the reply, I'll get on the phone. :chuffed:

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Janelle,

Sounds like you have an excellent heritage in gardening as well. I retired two years ago and still manage to fill up every day. All the best with it,

Janelle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Janelle,

Sounds like you have an excellent heritage in gardening as well. I retired two years ago and still manage to fill up every day. All the best with it,
Thanks Dan. I can't wait. :)

Reactions: DTK
Top Bottom