Hello From Dallas TX

RevX

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello all!

Glad to be apart of the community. I Have begone my back yard garden out of keeping my sanity during this world wide Pandemic and have fallen in love with it. I live in the Dallas Texas area where we have a sub tropic climate or at least that's what the google says any way. I'm having really good luck growing so far. My question would be when should i harvest. Is there a thread on here that would help me with this question?

I look forwards to continuing conversations with all of you.

Thank you.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi RevX, welcome to the site, glad you are having success in your garden. What type of things are you growing and wanting to harvest? Are you growing from seed? There is usually a time til harvest on packets so the thing is to keep good records. A lot of veg can be harvested young, as in 'baby' carrots etc. Fruit will generally have a 'feel' to it when ripe - generally a little bit squishy? Hope you find the answers you're looking for on the site somewhere!!

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello all!

Glad to be apart of the community. I Have begone my back yard garden out of keeping my sanity during this world wide Pandemic and have fallen in love with it. I live in the Dallas Texas area where we have a sub tropic climate or at least that's what the google says any way. I'm having really good luck growing so far. My question would be when should i harvest. Is there a thread on here that would help me with this question?

I look forwards to continuing conversations with all of you.

Thank you.

Hi RevX

You pick as you go. Say with lettuce, harvest the bottom leaves instead of waiting until they are fully grown to pull out. That way there is no waste and you get to stretch its growing time. You can do that to all your greens. The plant will continue more greens to eat. I heard with this method it stops the slugs from munching on your greens.

You can youtube any plant of interest and have a close up on each veggie when harvested.

One of my favourite UK gardener is 'No Dig' Gardener, Charles Dowding, Check his videos, they're simple, appealing, and successful.

Top Bottom