Missfire26

Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hello everybody!

My name is Chantal, I am from the Netherlands and I started gardening seriously last year. Before that I tried to grow herbs in the windowsill to cook with. I love cooking and I would like growing my own food and especially foods you can’t find in the supermarket to use in recipes. I found out about Mark his channel a couple of months ago and I would like to have conversations with more gardeners. I would like to ask if there are any other Europeans or Dutch people here? Or is it mostly Australians?

The location in the Netherlands where I live is zone 8 (not specified A or B, but I think it is B). For the last couple of years we had hot summers and crops like chili peppers and tomatoes are doing very well in this type of weather. I like to grow these type of plants, but I also like to try out new stuff such as beans and flowers this year. Any suggestions are welcome!

I have two places where I can grow things. At my parents east facing garden I have the biggest place to grow things. We have a couple of fruit trees over there such as grapes, japanese wineberries, red and white currants and olives. I am trying this upcoming growing season to introduce plants that have grown here before but died eventually from frost or something. For example, there was a Lavas plant that was growing very well here but it was cut back right before a snow storm hit, so it died :(. Lavas is a nice herb to use in soups and stews. We luckily freezed in a lot, so we can use it anytime.

The second place where I can grow plants is my boyfriends southfacing balcony that gets 8 hours of sunlight in the summer. I am planning on growing my peppers, tomatoes, a few herbs and cucumbers in grow bags there this year. I have a large pantry there to preserve all the food I am going to produce this season. I would like to know and exchange some recipes to preserve food. Any type may give me inspiration to grow new stuff.

I’m very excited to start this growing season! Thanks in advance for reading my post and answering questions above!

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Chantal. There is a mix of people from all over the world here.

There is a cooking section on the forum with some good recipies for preserving food.

I follow another youtube channel - GrownToCook who is in the Netherlands, you may pick up some ideas for what grows well in your area from her.

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Welcome!

How high up is the balcony? If it’s too high and the building doesn’t have a green roof, will you get pollinators for those flowering vegetables? I don’t know the answer...it just occurred to me as a possible challenge. Good luck.

Missfire26

Climate
It’s the second floor of the building. Last year I got polinators as well.
82675542-81DE-4655-B678-62569A092BAD.jpeg

Top Bottom