Hatching Quail

Owlonthewing

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello again,
We are hatching quail in the incubator. One hatched yesterday and today we have quite a few more. How much longer can I wait before moving them from the incubator. I don't want to open it if there is still more to hatch but on the other hand these little guys will surely need water asap.
Has anyone got any suggestions.

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey Owl,

Might be stating the obvious so apologies if what you're asking isn't listed, but have you read the relevant breeding articles on the main selfsufficientme website?
upload_2019-10-21_11-0-4.png

I can't post the text link yet unfortunately (anti-spam requirements lol) but under the "poultry" category you'll find a bunch of quail articles.

Owlonthewing

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Matthew,
I went through quite a few Quail articles but couldn't find an answer. We managed to hatch 13 in the first few days so we removed them as quickly as we could. I made the mistake of putting some chicken eggs in the incubator at the same time. We had to wait til 21 days for them to hatch. We ended up with 4 of these. We probably would have got more if we were able to leave the lid closed.

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm curious to go through the whole process myself too, that's good to know that they incubate so quickly. Are you growing them for their eggs, to eat, or for company? :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
How much longer can I wait before moving them from the incubator.
A few days (48hrs) and then they should be moved to a brooder.

Try not to open the lid during the hatching period :)

Owlonthewing

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Mark and Matthew,
Final tally was 13 quail and 5 chickens.
So approx 1/2 hatched.
It was good to know I could leave them for 48 hours.
Next time I will do chickens seperately so I don't have the problem of disturbing the eggs at the wrong time.
Also we were lucky to get what we did as the power went off for about 5 hours on day 13.
Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom