Question Hatched Baby Chicken

Perry

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day,
I have a Bellsouth 100 Egg Incubator. I normally get a hatch rate of 30+ eggs from 40 eggs. The last batch were due on Friday. I could hear them so I knew they had hatched. I took about 25 out of the incubator. I noticed that two of the chicks were laying down and could not stand up. I put them in my brood box with Chicken Starter & water. In the afternoon, I took the rest that had hatch. Three of them were laying down. When I put them in the brood box I noticed that the two that I first put in the box were dead. The following morning half of them were dead. Before I put any eggs in the Incubator I clean it with hot soapy water. I have almost lost them all now. This is the first time this has happened to me. Please could somebody tell me what could have possible be the problem.
Cheers Perry

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Perry I think that is a question for a vet.
Seems like you might have some sort of bacterial or viral issue with that batch of eggs.
Did your chooks lay the eggs or do you buy them?

Perry

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day ClissAT,
I have my own chooks. I have been raising babies for years. This is the first time this has happened to me. I want to put down another batch of eggs. I think I will wash out the Incubator as I normally do. This time I will spray it with Bleach and wash it again. I cannot think of another way to sterilize it.
Cheers Perry

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The contamination could be coming from anywhere. But giving another few eggs a go will certainly help to narrow down the cause.
Then again maybe not.
Contamination can come from anywhere, your hands, a new person in your life or coming into the house, wild birds, wind blowing from a different direction coming from a rubbish tip or from another hatchery within a few k's of your place.
Bleach doesn't kill everything. It doesn't kill viruses at all and wild birds bring viruses a plenty.
If the chicks had a bacterial infection it would have shown in their poo or nasal passages. It would have been runny mostly.
A virus would not show in the very early stages.

Top Bottom