Harvesting Pineapple 🍍

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Personally, I peel off those small leaves at the bottom. I find that roots never sprout from the bottom, but rather from the sides where I have pulled the leaves. Also, I let it dry out for at least 2 weeks before putting it in water. From there on I just add water whenever the glass is nearly empty and ignore it for a couple of weeks/months other than maybe a bi-weekly to monthly water change. I guess I should change it more often, but it's been working just fine so far. I also like leaving it in an area where it's exposed to (indirect) light. Usually on a windowsill with a sheer curtain blocking the harshest of light so that the water doesn't get too hot.

Hope that helps!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not going to lie, I've been severely neglecting this bad boy. But it shows you how the roots come from the sides.
I don't actually let the "butt" touchwater directly, as it stays moist due to the evaporation as it's really quite hot here.
By the looks of it, I could have removed some more leaves too.

I'm just doing whatever feels right, I have never actually looked up how to grow pineapples and am just learning along the way.
20230212_020603.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
As per usual pineapple thriving on neglect. I left the plant be after harvesting the pineapple and now there's 3 new heads!

I know I should seperate them, but I've been a wee bit lazy with it, haha.

4 heads (including the harvested one, which is rooting in a jar of water) from the one! I love it 😍
20230225_180639.jpg

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have pineapple envy.... Its too cold to grow them in my climate. :(

Since you already figured out how to get the juicy goodness out of your pineapple, I suggest you put a "pineapple slicer" on your Christmas or Birthday wish-list as they DEFINITELY make the job a lot easier. The "Pampered Chef Pineapple Wedger" (NOT the "wedger-corer") is the absolute best that I've found. Pricey, but worth the extra money. You may have a hard time scrounging one up if you're in Australia.

If you can't locate a Pampered Chef, then look for one with a STURDY HANDLE and STAINLESS STEEL blades. Most of the competitors on the market have these flimsy handles without a good grip to ram down through the pineapple, wobbly construction, flimsy steel, and too many blades (like an apple corer) that make it even harder to push through. Some companies try to pass off a whole-plastic model .... don't bother ... it will break the first time you use it. The Pampered Chef is a real workhorse. Once I slice up my pineapple, I take a "grapefruit spoon" and scoop out the pineapple in the outer skin for crushed pineapple, and then slice up the core and toss it in a pot of tea. But there are cheaper ones

1677425072713.png
1677425186996.png

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So I didn't pull those bottom leaves off because of doing other things... lol... and look!

Now water roots and soil roots are very different as they breathe differently? I think it is... I should actually research it more but I keep forgetting! So I will transition it to a pot frost so I can monitor it then I'll move it to the ground.
20230228_093659.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I let mine grow until all the roots touched the bottom of the glass.

One of the biggest tips I can give when going to soil from water propagating is keep the soil very wet for the first few weeks. This plant is used to having water touching it's roots 24/7, so sometimes they need time to adjust. Keep it very moist for at least 2 weeks, and after that I usually start lessening how much water I give - to the point I rarely water it at all. Other than some rain that might get onto it.
The plant really loves a full-sun position, in my experience.

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I let mine grow until all the roots touched the bottom of the glass.

One of the biggest tips I can give when going to soil from water propagating is keep the soil very wet for the first few weeks. This plant is used to having water touching it's roots 24/7, so sometimes they need time to adjust. Keep it very moist for at least 2 weeks, and after that I usually start lessening how much water I give - to the point I rarely water it at all. Other than some rain that might get onto it.
The plant really loves a full-sun position, in my experience.
I found this little one at the shops. It's leaves are rough and spikey compared to the other one. I'm going to try and grow this one too.

20230305_093455.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've never seen them with rough, spiky leaves before! I wonder if it can grow any bigger or if that's average size

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
The pineapple slicer @Scottish_Maiden posted looks like the one we have. I do know we have some Pampered Chef gadgets, so it may very well be the same unit. Grapefruit spoons can be incredibly useful.

The summer I worked as a landscape labourer, I was asked to gather up some high bush cranberry cuttings that had been propagated. As an experiment, some had been placed in sand in the hoop house and others in a bed of sawdust. The ones in sand developed water roots and the ones in sawdust had grown much finer roots and had root hairs and branching roots. You may want to consider putting it in a container (one that doesn't neck down) with some sort of a soil / compost mixture while keeping it on the wet side to help it develop those feeder roots.

Top Bottom