Growing Sweet Carrots

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I grew different varieties of carrots this summer, and though they all grew well and straight they all had one thing in common. They tasted yuck, description on the web was like soap.

The info I could find on the web was that carrots get sweeter at night when it's cooler. But we have had a long hot summer and nights have certainly not been cool. So I am wondering if this is why they weren't sweet. And in Subtropical areas are they better planted in the cooler months, Autumn through winter.

Any thoughts or tips?

Mark's video on growing carrots.

David - coona

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Let's, I find summer grown carrots are always a challenge flavourwise. We do a couple of spring plantings (2 month apart) and harvest at 8-10 weeks, as baby carrots. Late summer is our big plantings for winter and spring eating. Any that start to go to seed - straight to the sheep. When picking - early morning, twist tops off after pulling then either into storage (freezer buried in the potting shed) or washed and chopped into water ready for boiling for lunch. The last summer harvests might get a bit of honey in the water if needed.
Keep the growing carrots evenly moist, do not let dry out or you have wasted that space.

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I can honestly say I have never had any trouble with carrots not being sweet. Had trouble with them either not coming up or going to seed. My carrots I always grow in not fertilized soil just add water. I actually use the same patch over and over so that they don't have much nutrients. I was told years ago that too much nutrient make the carrots bolt to seed and or be small and nobly

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Keep trying and try different locations in your garden until you figure it out the best way and spot to grow them for you. I am not the best carrot grower but my past attempts were fair and edible.

Charmaine

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I grew different varieties of carrots this summer, and though they all grew well and straight they all had one thing in common. They tasted yuck, description on the web was like soap.

The info I could find on the web was that carrots get sweeter at night when it's cooler. But we have had a long hot summer and nights have certainly not been cool. So I am wondering if this is why they weren't sweet. And in Subtropical areas are they better planted in the cooler months, Autumn through winter.

Any thoughts or tips?

Mark's video on growing carrots.

These prefer cooler temps. Fall to winter in your climate I think.

Kasalia

http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/
Premium Member
Website
retired2006.blogspot.com.au
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This was an old thread originally but temperature is the key.

Carrots grow best in temperatures between 15 and 20 C degrees .Temperatures below 10C will stunt the growth of the foliage. Temperatures above roughly 26C will produce undesirable flavors in the carrots. Carrots can tolerate a light frost but prolonged exposure should be avoided.

Taken from SFGate. com degrees converted.

Top Bottom