Growing grapes

Joan

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am thinking about growing grapes this year. Any suggestion? My growing season is about 190 days. Also I know they can grow quite big. How much space do they need? Thanks.

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Joan, stick a couple in the ground and see what happens next. I am in the wine country, the Barossa Valley and other wineries are just up the hill from me. I do love the look of the grapes growing. I have always had one growing in my previous homes. I am yet to put some in this garden. I took some cuttings from a friend last year and it rooted. It will be a lovely addition to the garden.

Joan

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you Mary. I am planning to take my 10 year old to our local nursery and see what he is interested in. I have 4 kids and we are trying to cut out a lot of processed foods from our diet. So hoping that getting them involved will motivate them to eat healthier.

Rachel

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We used to have a black muscatel grape which was absolutely beautiful, so sweet. Had a bit of problem with a powdery mildew though because we have high humidity here even though it's a temperate climate. Where are you located Joan (just a general area)?

As far as size goes, ours was grown over a verandah so it probably got about 7/8m long or so. Do you have a fence or other structure to support a grapevine?

Joan

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am in Virginia, USA. We just moved to this house. I have been container gardening before this. We currently don't have a structure setup, wanted to find a variety I liked first and then setup a structure in the best spot for it.

ooglek

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@Joan Cabernet Franc is a popular red in Virginia. I don't much like the flavor it provides to wine, and it probably isn't a tasty grape to eat. But you could try it, as it grows well around here! Stupid hot, humid summers...

AZ Orchard

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I would research different varieties that grow in your area. This way you have an idea of the taste and possible
performance of the vine to avoid any disappointment.
Knowing what grows well in your zone is important, so I am glad that you are planning on visiting a nursery but even they can sell plants that may be borderline in performing in your area.
According to what I see in the big box stores, I can grow a Concord grape in the desert;) ( I wish and sadly I have tried ).
Now, wherever I shop, I google the plant in front of me to see if it really will be happy where it will be planted.
This article may help for general information https://harvesttotable.com/growing-backyard-grapes/
Also, if you can get a hold of even an old copy, the Sunset Western Garden Book contains varieties that grow in every
zone ( not just warmer zones ).
I hope you find one or More that you like and they grow well for you.

Joan

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@AZ Orchard this is great advise. I have heard of nurseries and garden centers selling plants that are not suited to the area they are sold in. Which I think is a huge disservice to novice gardeners( such as myself). I will look into the sources you mentioned and research the plants I find before purchasing them. It would also make a great teaching moment for my kids whom I homeschool.

AZ Orchard

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Here in Arizona, i have lost a couple of vines to the glassy winged sharpshooter ( infects vines with Pierce's Disease with one bite ) so if i try grapes again ( And I will ) it will have to be a resistant variety. So, i have some research to do too.

Joan

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Has anyone grown lakemont seedless grapes. As far as I can tell this looks like a good grape to grow for table grapes.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Has anyone grown lakemont seedless grapes.

I grow flame seedless has smaller red fruits but a good hardy vine suitable to my subtropical climate. I would check locally searching online and chatting to nurseries to see if they are a popular choice for your area and if so there's probably a good reason why.

Good luck :)

Top Bottom