Growing Citronella as a Mosquito Repellent - which type?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Common, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Common

Common Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've been interested in growing some citronella along with some other plants as a mosquito repellent - but in my Googling have across two different looking types:
    • Cymbopogon citratus - a grass looking type
    • Pelargonium citrosum - a leafy shrub type (I wasn't familiar with this one?)
    Anyone have any information/first hand experience on which type they prefer - and if planting as a mosquito repellent is even effective?

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The type that will work best in Australia is the pelagoniam which tolerates drier soil.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Raymondo

Raymondo Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've got both growing and while they have repellent qualities to be effective you need an awful lot , the pelargoniums smell great in wind and rain , but on those still days I doubt they would be effective , however what price to plant either or both , if they contribute somewhat then is that not better than not having them at all , and the pelargoniums smell Devine . Both are easy to propagate just have to find a donor.cheers and happy gardening .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Common

Common Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Raymondo - I've had three medium Pelargonium sized plants growing on our balcony since my original post and have found that the effect is negligible as you say. I imagine you'd need a great deal or to crush the leaves to have a great effect.

You're right though - the scent is very nice but can be quite subtle.